Need help on how to tempt pigeons

Craigie

Had a day out yesterday 6th June, and although the conditions werent exactly great, overcast drizzling rain from time to time and hardly any wind. I was set up on the edge of a huge field of peas that is taking a hammering by the pesky blighters. But my decoys had no great effect as most of the birds just kept flying over and into the middle of the field. I dont think it was the decoy pattern as I had a few birds come to investigate. Apart from having about 4 guns set up around the field and maybe someone else roaming around I dont know how to overcome this problem. Any ideas would be gratefully acceptedcraig@acorndata.co.uk

Sometimes they don't play by the rules!  Cheeky wee ........ !

Short of trying to set up somehow in the middle of the field, maybe you could watch their flightlines in and out of that field and head off along one of those.

What sort of pattern were you using?  Was there definitely enough space for the pigeons to land behind your deeks?  If they couldn't get in to land, they might have just went off into the middle  :) .

Steve

Hi Craigie welcome,

Steve makes some good points, its important that you give the pigeons room to get "into" your decoy pattern and land AGAINST the wind.

If they continue to land out in the field (and you can,t set up out there), try putting a couple of fertilizer sacks (or similar) on sticks beyond where they are landing. This should discourage them from that area, but not spook them from your decoys.

If you investigate where they are landing, you will probably find that it is a clearer/stunted area. That has been my experience, especially on headlands.

Sometimes fields are just too big to shoot effectively on your own.

Another gun can help, but hide positioning then becomes very crucial .

It takes quite a lot of experience to place multiple guns on a large field and get good results.

Had a look in the middle of the field and it has been well hammered, farmer has a banger barrel in the middle  so even pretended to be a barrel for a while but still no luck, I think the field is just too big. Short of  a pigeon magnet i think it is a bit of a no win situation.

Has this field got a wood near it ? Because if it has it might be worth nealing down there in the evening and shooting any coming back to roost. You never know if the banger is working it might force them to move.

If they start to take no notice of the banger which they do after a wile or if it isn't working how about trying to get hold of some bails to build a hide just straw ones will do some times farmers put them out just for the pigeon shooters.

P.S Leave them long enough so that the pigeons get used to them being there.

Good Luck   :)