Stalking in the rain?

adam f

After a nice eve out Fri seeing plenty of deer and fox, I decided to try again tonight, it was a bit grey, and after 30 mins it started to rain - ill push on I thought, but alas all I saw was 1 rabbit! Truly a night for staying indoors with a beer!

It got me wondering do any of you bother stalking in the rain and wind?

stalking what?

Red? Yes. doesnt bother them and can often aid the stalker.

Roe? again depends on habitat, but a bit of rain noise can work wonders to hide crunching, snapping underfoot.

More to the point, if it looks like it is going away any time soon, you are right there when it stops.

Right after a rainshower is when lots of things come out to feed, shake in the sun etc etc

Depends,but if its hitting the velux in the morning when the alarm goes off i sack it and stay in the sack.Roe do head for shelter in heavyish rain but if it stops they can be quick in reappearing for a munchie.There are usually enough good days to go oot withoot having to in the weet weather so genarally not for roe.

i have shot roe in light drizzle but if its lashing down i tend to sit it out in a nice warm house but in saying that 3 of the biggest roe bucks i have shot were all shot on drizzly wet evening stalks mybe they know when its raining fewer people are about so its safer to venture out thats why they got to be big bucks or might just have been that i was lucky :lol::lol:

worthwhile waiting because if the sun comes out for a few minutes roe especially in spruce like to get under it in the clearings to warm up. I have shot quite a few deer when its been raining quite hard but you have to watch you keep your muzzle taped up and the action and ammo dry to avoid pressure issues. Its not as good but it can be done, if deer didn't feed in the wet then frankly they would starve in some parts it litrally rains that much

worthwhile waiting because if the sun comes out for a few minutes roe especially in spruce like to get under it in the clearings to warm up. I have shot quite a few deer when its been raining quite hard but you have to watch you keep your muzzle taped up and the action and ammo dry to avoid pressure issues. Its not as good but it can be done, if deer didn't feed in the wet then frankly they would starve in some parts it litrally rains that much

You can also carry the rifle muzzle down, as long as you are aware of where the muzzle is. :good:

Deer are out regardless of the weather - they have no choice! It's just a matter of where they are as it's always easier to stalk into them when you can see them in a clearing.

Regards,

Gixer

[

Edited by gixer1

You can also carry the rifle muzzle down, as long as you are aware of where the muzzle is. :good:

Deer are out regardless of the weather - they have no choice! It's just a matter of where they are as it's always easier to stalk into them when you can see them in a clearing.

Regards,

Gixer

[

I do this with tape on also, its esy for water to run up the barrel when crossing obsticles and crawling