Fud decoys for inland

markyboy

Are these any good for inland shooting? There dosent seem to be that big a Market for the big shell or full bodied plastic style decoys that are heavy to carry. I'm in desperate need of decoys this season And need to get something sorted are the fuds any good?

I used the FUDS for the first time last year. I must admit they`re alot easier to carry, and they seemed to pull the Teal and Widgeon in a treat. However, its early days so as for durability I really cannot comment. My advice would be is go for it. :good:

I've used the FUDs on the mud and also inland and they worked fine. I've heard they are pants for using on a flooding tide though. Silosocks will be my next buy though as they are a bit cheaper and give a bit more movement.

We have found that Fuds work fine on grass or stubble & are easy to carry & Silosocks are very good but there is one problem with them wich is they have a tendency to part company with the wire fixing spike wich stays in the ground in a dangerous position wich is capable of causing injury to man or beast or most likely your gun dog & that could be nasty ! so if you use them make sure you pick them back up by always pulling then out the ground by the wire.

We have found that Fuds work fine on grass or stubble & are easy to carry & Silosocks are very good but there is one problem with them wich is they have a tendency to part company with the wire fixing spike wich stays in the ground in a dangerous position wich is capable of causing injury to man or beast or most likely your gun dog & that could be nasty ! so if you use them make sure you pick them back up by always pulling then out the ground by the wire.

Cheers, I'm gonna give them a try. I'll mind to keep an eye on the wire :good:

I've used FUDs for decoying Canada's on some flood meadows for the last couple of years and despite being under sized they work very well. I've also tried them on the estuary with mixed results. They are very easy to carry but as already posted useless as floaters.

A friend of mine has three dozen widgeon that he uses to good effect on land but again they are useless on water

Edited by Reabrook

Cheers, I'm gonna give them a try. I'll mind to keep an eye on the wire :good:

Give you a tip on the silosocks pull out the wire they come with & put in some thicker galvanised wire & glue the thing in & that will help save the problem with the wire parting company , also if silosocks get loose in a gale force wind they can go some ! :lol: .

Give you a tip on the silosocks pull out the wire they come with & put in some thicker galvanised wire & glue the thing in & that will help save the problem with the wire parting company , also if silosocks get loose in a gale force wind they can go some ! :lol: .

:lol: cheers!

I think I'll get a few sillosocks and a couple of plastics that I can stick out on the tide..just keep the silo's on the marsh edge :good:

• 2 weeks later...

Got a couple of mates that use the FUDs and are well pleased with them on ponds, rIvers and fields. I've bought some now to try on the today areas, a half dozen of each in Widgeon, Mallard, and Teal, and will keep you posted on how they work on a motherline/gangline set up once season begins :good:

i have goose sillo socks and mallard and goose FUDs, both types of goose decoy work very well if the birds are willing to play ball, though its the same as any decoy, some days no matter what you do the birds just dont seem interested. we tried mallard FUDs on water last season and they were rubbish. it was a bit windy when we tried them, and whilst the plastic decoys were fine the FUDs were all laying on there sides, then it came a snowy shower and they all sank, nothing up but their tail feathers. i usually mix up the sillo socks and the FUDs when decoying geese, the sillo socks give a good amount of movement. i had the same problem with the metal pin coming off the head of the sillo sock so i took the pins out and put them all back in with a liberal amount of super glue and i havnt had any come out again.

whoa, i better get to bed, i just had a little bolt of goose fever run through me there :lol: