BSA Airsporter mk 5 .22

drone

I've gone back to page 44 to find info on my airsporter, there's not a lot for what I once considered was my dream airgun(second one I've had btw and the first one I've been disappointed with.)

I've tried allsorts to get a new spring in it, in the end I put the old one back. It'll still punch a hole through one sde of a heinz baked been tin and put a severe dent in the other side but I'd really like to get the new spring in. Is there anyone in the Dover area of Kent that does this kind of work?

The other question I have is what's the best scope for it, it has slots milled into the chamber for the bsa scope mounts but they are about as good as a chocolate fireguard in retaining the scope. The last time I used it (mid 80s) I got so annoyed I lobbed the scope into the back of the garage and proceeded with the iron sights. Then it got thrown in the loft to gather dust with the other bunch of carp in my collection. Is there a conversion that can actually attach a scope rig to the thing?

I really want to make this gun work as I've just discovered nearly 2000 marksman pellets that used to be the bees knees in my youth.

If the gun is that old i would put a new piston seal in as well has a new spring. :yes:

Have a look on YOU TUBE there`s lots of home made spring compressors for Air Rifles. :good:

There`s a good one using a joiners sash clamp in a workmate. :yes:

A gun shop wouldn`t charge you much for fitting a seal and spring. :yes:

An Airsporter should be blasting holes right through bean cans. :good:

Try and google gun shops in your neck of the woods you might find one. :hmm:

I had a new spring and seal fitted at a gun shop. :yes:

I was in a gun shop and asked for an ox spring and seal for a Cometa 400 he said £18 for the spring and £2.50 for the seal or £25 all in fitted pick it up in an hour. :ermm:

Get on with it. :yahoo: Happy :shoot::shoot::shoot:

A gas strut is like what is on a cars tail-gate it holds the tail gate up. :yes:

Or a bit like a cars shock absorber but a lot smaller. :yes:

Basically its a tube with a rod and piston inside it and is filled with gas so when you cock the Rifle you compress the gas and when you pull the trigger the strut releases its energy pushing the rifles piston forward just as the spring used to. :good:

The big differences are you can have the rifle cocked for long periods of time when out storking and there`s no damage to a spring or loss of power. :good:

And its a lot smoother to cock and shoot as you get no spring twang and a lot less recoil. :good:

So it makes the gun more Accurate and easier to cock. And smoother to shoot. :good:

Some gas struts you can put more gas in or some have an adjuster on them so you can fine tune your Rifle to say 11.7 ftlb. :good:

Most shooters that have fitted gas rams do it for smooth and accurate shooting or tweaking the gas ram to get the Rifle as close to 12 ftlb as poss. :yes:

Gas rams are £40 to £60. :sad1: Putting an ox spring in your Rifle will make it harder to cock and you will get a lot more recoil some guns are just nasty with an ox spring in them. :cry1:

Hope this is a good enough explanation. :hmm: Happy :shoot::shoot::shoot:

A gas strut is like what is on a cars tail-gate it holds the tail gate up. :yes:

Or a bit like a cars shock absorber but a lot smaller. :yes:

Basically its a tube with a rod and piston inside it and is filled with gas so when you cock the Rifle you compress the gas and when you pull the trigger the strut releases its energy pushing the rifles piston forward just as the spring used to. :good:

The big differences are you can have the rifle cocked for long periods of time when out storking and there`s no damage to a spring or loss of power. :good:

And its a lot smoother to cock and shoot as you get no spring twang and a lot less recoil. :good:

So it makes the gun more Accurate and easier to cock. And smoother to shoot. :good:

Some gas struts you can put more gas in or some have an adjuster on them so you can fine tune your Rifle to say 11.7 ftlb. :good:

Most shooters that have fitted gas rams do it for smooth and accurate shooting or tweaking the gas ram to get the Rifle as close to 12 ftlb as poss. :yes:

Gas rams are £40 to £60. :sad1: Putting an ox spring in your Rifle will make it harder to cock and you will get a lot more recoil some guns are just nasty with an ox spring in them. :cry1:

Hope this is a good enough explanation. :hmm: Happy :shoot::shoot::shoot:

Hi mate,

They sound good. Do you know if they do them for the Webley xocet in .22 ?

Just had a look on the web and they have gone up a bit since i last did one. :yes:

THEOBEN web site list a gas ram for the xocet £78.80. :sick:

Blackpool Air Rifles list one for the xocet £64.95. :cry1:

A lot to spend on a Rifle but it will be a lot smoother to cock and fire and a lot less recoil so a lot more Accurate. :yahoo:

If your Rifle is in good condition it will feel like another gun with a gas ram in it. :yes:

Happy :shoot::shoot::shoot:

Ask this lot, but I would have thought BSA would have been able to help anyway, perhaps not. :hmm:

http://www.gunspares.co.uk/

You need to get real, the Airsporter was a cracking air rifle ...IN ITS TIME, I have one from new and it still delivers 11.2ft lb with the Original spring, 40 years old this year. But time waits for no man, there are loads or air rifles much better today, I think you are wasting your time trying to turn a Go Kart into a F1.

Restore it by all means but don't expect miracles, the trigger for starters is so basic as to be Stone Age!

ATB!

:good::good:

Thanks NS, I googled it, looks like the airsporter misses out as theoben don't list one for it, pity I'd like to try it.

Dekers, I bought my spring and bits from them

I appreciate that things have moved on, don't have a problem with that, just wanted to get the best out of the old gun with the pellets I found in my shed.

Edited by drone

Just had a look on the web and they have gone up a bit since i last did one. :yes:

THEOBEN web site list a gas ram for the xocet £78.80. :sick:

Blackpool Air Rifles list one for the xocet £64.95. :cry1:

A lot to spend on a Rifle but it will be a lot smoother to cock and fire and a lot less recoil so a lot more Accurate. :yahoo:

If your Rifle is in good condition it will feel like another gun with a gas ram in it. :yes:

Happy :shoot::shoot::shoot:

Many thanks for that mate :good:

The stock on my rifle is badly marked, But the barrel,trigger,spring and the others bits are all very much in great working order. Nothing wrong with the spring but i do like the sound of replacing it with the above.

I know that my Model of rifle is now quite an old model but its a real work horse the Xocet, So anything that could make it better i feel maybe money well spent.

But i have been looking around at other Rifles lately with the view to replacing it, Not sure what im going to do yet!

Anyway thanks for the info.

P.S. sorry to the other member for high jacking there Thread !

Edited by halight

Thanks NS, I googled it, looks like the airsporter misses out as theoben don't list one for it, pity I'd like to try it.

Dekers, I bought my spring and bits from them

I appreciate that things have moved on, don't have a problem with that, just wanted to get the best out of the old gun with the pellets I found in my shed.

Blue Eley Wasp! :yes::good::good:

Ask this lot, but I would have thought BSA would have been able to help anyway, perhaps not. :hmm:

http://www.gunspares.co.uk/

You need to get real, the Airsporter was a cracking air rifle ...IN ITS TIME, I have one from new and it still delivers 11.2ft lb with the Original spring, 40 years old this year. But time waits for no man, there are loads or air rifles much better today, I think you are wasting your time trying to turn a Go Kart into a F1.

Restore it by all means but don't expect miracles, the trigger for starters is so basic as to be Stone Age!

ATB!

:good::good:

Good advice , I had a couple of airsporters and they just cant compare to guns like the HW77/97 etc for accuracy .

As for fitting a gas ram ,I am pretty sure it is not possible on the airsporter.