red letter days

B725

Welcome , I would guess there are lots of members who have had lots of red letter days ,but then what is a red letter day to one is not to another,I have shot a best bag of 220 but I certainly don't class it as my best day in fact it was hard work carrying them a good way back to the car ! I think my most enjoyable days have been those spent with friends shooting modest sized bags.

I suppose a couple that stand out for me as very good are shooting 26 in about 3hrs with the airgun and having a bag of 97 in a hour and half .

Welcome , I would guess there are lots of members who have had lots of red letter days ,but then what is a red letter day to one is not to another,I have shot a best bag of 220 but I certainly don't class it as my best day in fact it was hard work carrying them a good way back to the car ! I think my most enjoyable days have been those spent with friends shooting modest sized bags.

I suppose a couple that stand out for me as very good are shooting 26 in about 3hrs with the airgun and having a bag of 97 in a hour and half .

Agreed :good:

I too have had a few 200+ bags, Iv had days where the birds just came in like they were on a conveyor belt, it was boring! its like staying a on a right to left crosser clay stand all day long.

Had some excellent days (50-100 birds) with mates, enjoying some really testing shots and the birds proving hard to decoy, much more satisfying and rewarding.

I would take a good/enjoyable days shooting over a red letter day, any day :good:

Hi fenboy I do agree its just that I was wondering how many had done it,last year 27 for 32 shots more than happy that.

To shoot 100+ in one session

Yea done it many times, 256,251 many 200 plus, 10, 100 plus in one season, but my most enjoyable was shooting an 88 just stood on a flightline between 2 oaks, high testing birds, had a few decoys out but hardly any committed as they were feeding elsewhere, that was 15 years ago but still sticks in my mind.

The 256 was on a pea field and sticks in my mind for all the wrong reasons, i,d bought a brand new berretta AL 391 camo Auto, (2 days earlier)i,d never fired a shot through it,so turned up at this pea field,farmer said not to start shooting before 8 am cause of noise,anyway got there well before 7 and birds were pilling in, made a hide and sat in it watching bird after bird come in ( no decoys out yet) anyway 10 to 8 put out deeks got back to hide loaded up and in floated 3 customers, i thought heres 3 dead, bang 1st dead swung onto next click, gun woudn,t fire 2nd barrel and thats how it continued for an hour,i was shooting well over an hour from home, rang my mrs and she brought my over and under up and i finished on 256 but i,d missed the best part of day by then.

Personaly, i've had more red letter days (100 plus) that is than i can remember well into the 20s i guess, biggest day of 218 on swathed rape in 2004, second in july 1999 215 on flat barley, once shot 65 on chic weed, most productive 65 in less than an hour on rape stubble! couldent shoot fast enough and missed as many as i shot! really thought i was going for the record that day but ended up with just 116, shot 99 once on stubble even waiting till it was dark just to get that one more but it dident happen!

Just looking at halight's post were he mentions his flask of coffee....well it used to be the standing joke with us that if you were having a **** day unscrew your cup from your flask and bingo! the air was full of birds and inevitably you'd end up scalding yourself with coffee!