simple, fast pigeon re-load "recipe"

If you look at the green one the wad is to long for the case ,so stick to 70mm . I would also say your a bit short on your shot ;)

The wads are for an ounce and a quarter which is (apparently) what I've put in them.

As already stated, the red ones are 67mm

Off to a clay ground in a bit to scrounge some 70mm hulls to try, must admit I'm not looking forward to going scavenging while people are there but I would like to turn a few decent cartridges out after the relatively hefty blow to the old wallet :/

The wads are for an ounce and a quarter which is (apparently) what I've put in them.

As already stated, the red ones are 67mm

Off to a clay ground in a bit to scrounge some 70mm hulls to try, must admit I'm not looking forward to going scavenging while people are there but I would like to turn a few decent cartridges out after the relatively hefty blow to the old wallet :/

Tell 'em you're doing it for charity :lol:

You need a specific recipe that was designed to fill a shell just nicely, using the wrong sized wad for example will just doom you to failure.

Guest cookoff013

lee load all will only load 70mm cases without modifying it

and you can not tell the difference between 1250 and 1400 fps, you have been brainwashed by the box

I have tested over 15 different factory loads with a calibrated chrono and not one has done 1400 fps

Use 70 mm case 24 mm wad 28 grams of shot and some where around 20.5 grains of Vectan AS it ill kill any thing up to 45 yards in the right hands

The best cases to use are premium clay cartridge cases not cheap pigeon cases try hull pro one, sovereign, Just cartridges CSP range(the purple ones) load extremely well

Deershooter

i`ve just resized and coloured the important bit here.

first its a fine recipe and will do the job, decoy load with number 6.

:hmm: initial results aren't very encouraging :oops:

Stock was a bit limited at the toy (sorry, gun) shop. I've ended up with;

Remington premier STS primers

Green dot powder

Rp12 wads

no.6 shot

So, we consulted the manual and came up with a load, 34gm 21.0gn

and......

the crimps are terrible, using eley 67mm cart's (hb pigeon)

so, just as an experiment, I took a full cartridge apart and put it back together - I didn't use the machine to put the powder or shot in but used the powder, the wad and the shot that were in the cartridge to start with and the crimp's just as bad!

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

you went to a shop, bought some random components and wonder why the loads are turning out poor. there are many different wad heights for many different loads for the different powder charges and densitys. buying random stuff is a sure way of causing many headaches. use a reputable recipe.

you started off looking for a cheap load, but ended up shooting american powder at more than twice the price per shell, american wads that may not fit correctly in our parallel tube hulls, with 34g load of lead. all supposed to fit in a 65mm case (american wad!).

who gave you the advice to buy these components?

you could probly substutute the hulls and wad and still have a good load.

reel shoolboy error rushing into things a bit blind the yanky primmers are a arm and a leg and Im sure a lee loadall wont throw 34grams of shot unless the 11/4oz bushing drops a light charge as standard

stick with it we have all been there :P a 1oz load is the way to go if you are trying to keep the cost a low as ***

Edited by UK fowler

The

best way to learn when you know nothing (and lets face it thats true ) is to buy two boxes of 70mm cartridges shoot one then use the components of the other to reload the empty cases you can use powder shot and primer that way you have all the correct components and waste nothing

What you have is a recipe for disaster without using the correct powder weight, wad, and primer along correct hulls you might be moving down the Fen's to be a 4 fingered cabbage cultivator (if you still have that many fingers left) get some reloading data for European cartridges not Yank ones

pm me with what you want to load but it wont be 1 1/4 super fast as its not possible with that shot load 1 1/4 is a fowling load not a pigeon load

Deershooter