simple, fast pigeon re-load "recipe"

After considerable thought, I think I've decided :look: to get the bits and pieces and have a go at re-loading.

I understand I'll probably not save any money but, as others on here have said, I think I'd get a lot of enjoyment out of making and using my own loads.

Soo, can anyone point me in the direction of some reliable online data?

I'm getting a lee load-all and will start by using empties from what I currently have, these are eley HB pigeon 67mm (12bore) and did have size 6 1/2 shot in them, 32gm.

What I'd like to do, keeping the cost down as much as possible, is use either no.5 or no.6 shot in them and make them as fast as I can - I find I shoot better with very fast cartridges.

What would you recommend?

lee load all will only load 70mm cases without modifying it

and you can not tell the difference between 1250 and 1400 fps, you have been brainwashed by the box

I have tested over 15 different factory loads with a calibrated chrono and not one has done 1400 fps

Use 70 mm case 24 mm wad 28 grams of shot and some where around 20.5 grains of Vectan AS it ill kill any thing up to 45 yards in the right hands

The best cases to use are premium clay cartridge cases not cheap pigeon cases try hull pro one, sovereign, Just cartridges CSP range(the purple ones) load extremely well

Deershooter

:hmm: initial results aren't very encouraging :oops:

Stock was a bit limited at the toy (sorry, gun) shop. I've ended up with;

Remington premier STS primers

Green dot powder

Rp12 wads

no.6 shot

So, we consulted the manual and came up with a load, 34gm 21.0gn

and......

the crimps are terrible, using eley 67mm cart's (hb pigeon)

so, just as an experiment, I took a full cartridge apart and put it back together - I didn't use the machine to put the powder or shot in but used the powder, the wad and the shot that were in the cartridge to start with and the crimp's just as bad!

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

I'm not familiar with a load all but if the crimps are folding in it would suggest the case isn't full enough.

It also looks as if the crimp head needs to come down more to form the crimp properly.

My tip is to not bother with odd sized cases. Go to a clay club and go thru the bins on the DTL stand and sort out a good number of decent quality 70mm cases, find one type ansd stick with it until you've got it sorted because different shells will load up differently and confuse the issue.

Good luck :good:

Would they really use 70mm at clays? seems a bit much considering it's 24-28gm loads (I believe) - like I said though, I'm very much starting out with all this (and I'm certainly no clay shooter so wouldn't know about that either really :lol:)

Edited by fieldwanderer

Would they really use 70mm at clays? seems a bit much considering it's 24-28gm loads (I believe) - like I said though, I'm very much starting out with all this (and I'm certainly no clay shooter so wouldn't know about that either really :lol:)

70mm is the default 12gauge size and this is why it's best to stick with them, using all the same type should get you consistency so when one works the rest should, theoretically :rolleyes: