Coudn't hit a barn door...

jimmer192

I am pretty new to shooting. I've done a bit of clay shooting, and have been pigeion shooting a couple of times before.

The other day i went roost shooting with me old man, and i never shot a thing! Please can you give me some tips, as i clearly havent got a clue what im doing.

The weather was pretty breezy, and most of the pigeons were coming over head, i dont really know how much lead i should be giving. My dad says as son as i start to hit them i will learn how to judge the lead, but err... havent even fluked one yet!

Also, my new gun is a multi choke, and i dont really know which ones i should be using. The two chokes in there at the mo are the most "open" ones, (hope that makes sense). Should i change it to the narrower ones???

I also missed a pigeon in a tree (dont laugh!)

What am i doing wrong??

Any tips greatfully received!

Thanks  :*)

It unfortunately sounds like the gun you use may not be the correct fit. if the gun is the write fit you should be in line straight away,this is essential with a fast moving target such as pigeon. When you have a gun that fits try to let the pigeons get as close as you can,make it easy for yourself,dont take wild shots as this will smash what little confidence you have. Try a few more clays,perhaps in a woodland situation if thats possible. Overhead shots with trees involved sounds favourite. Start with a little lead and if thats not working continue to extend your lead until the clays break.If your shooting pigeons in a wood let them come right into the trees and be almost sat with there wings still flapping,blot them out and pull the trigger,this should do the trick.Get a few in the bag this way and your confidence will grow. If when you last shot you where using open chokes you may have been taking birds that were to far off to get the best from your pattern,this may give the impression you were on the bird,but nothing happens,thus adding to your already confused mind. Its a case of practice,don't let it get to you and enjoy learning,it won't be long befotre your bags improve.Good Luck!

Most people ask about lead. and it is almost imposible to give advice as people see lead differently.  I dont have the figures to hand but the physics say that for a 35 yard bird at average speeds you will need 6ft lead. To me it looks like 3ft but as I say its a personal thing.

If your gun fit is only a bit off practice mounting and shooting into a mirror at your right eye (the one above the gun) get to know what it feels like to get everything in line.

It may help....

Keep to the open chokes for now, and avoid the long shots.

I always have trouble with sitters, I normaly get around 40-45 out of 50 at sporting! so just 'cos you have trouble with one shot wont mean you have trouble with them all.

Jimmer fella don't worry about it everybody has gone through this stage , some have passed it and gone back into the barn door stage.

1st as a wise man on here told me (think it was COLUMBUS)practice mounting your gun in the mirror.When your looking str8 down the rib you've cracked it.

2nd don't panic it'll come if given time and practice.

3rd practice some more

4th a little bit more practice go's a long way.

5th are u sure you've had enough time practiceing with your gun ?

You get the picture .

all the best Y.I.S

NotEdited by Cranfield on whenever as i have saved him the bother, bought a dictonary and found a few better words to explain myself with    :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

all the best Y.I.S

I'm a new guy around here but I suggest that first you check which is your 'master' eye. It's a simple test - Using either forefinger point at a stationary object. Now close your left eye, if your finger has moved off the object you have a left master eye. If you are shooting from your right shoulder with a left 'master' eye then you have a problem that will need considerable help from a shooting coach to overcome. The test obviously works to test your other eye and at the same time a left handed shot will have a similar problem if he/she has a right 'master' eye. :S

cheers for all the advice!

When im shooting clays, im ok when they are moving away from me, i can hit, maybe, one out of four. But left to righties or right to lefties are a big no-no! I might hit one in seven or eight.

I have tried mounting my gun in front of a mirror, i think my stock might be a little too long. I always seem to have to push the gun out and pull it back in to my shoulder, instead of just bringing it up.

Its got quite a fat piece of sponging, so i might try and get it off...:angry:

Thanks again, will be having a practise again on saturday...

:angry:

Your stock is almost certainly to long. You have two options. 1. take off the existing recoil pad and replace with a thinner version.

2. Have the stock length reduced by your gunsmith or someone along those lines.

Don,t put up with having a stock thats to long or you might find your shooting will not improve as it should do. Best of luck.

jimmer192, if you are serious..... the problem with cutting things off, is that you frequently can,t stick them back on again, if its wrong. :angry:

I suggest you take the gun to your local gunshop and get their advice regarding the fit.

Its very difficult to shoot a gun consistently well, if it doesn,t fit you properly.

Get it fixed and you will notice the difference. :angry: