crayfish

FalconFN

I got my crayfish licence on Thursday and caught the first one this morning, and although it was only 1 I was still chuffed. I've just cooked it and instead of being bright red all over it is blotchy red and bkack, anyone know of any reason why, and whether its ok to eat.

By the way it IS a signal and not a white clawed cray.

I got my crayfish licence on Thursday and caught the first one this morning, and although it was only 1 I was still chuffed. I've just cooked it and instead of being bright red all over it is blotchy red and bkack, anyone know of any reason why, and whether its ok to eat.

By the way it IS a signal and not a white clawed cray.

Good luck on future outings

Were and how do you catch crayfish, I am in Kent is there any here, sorry but don't know much about this but I do know they taste good

Cheers

do a search of the forum for crayfish theres been loads of threads in the past :good:

I used bacon scraps (75p for a bag of off-cuts from the 'savers' range in a supermarket).

If you use something meaty and chunky with a bit of blood in it, the smell and flavour lasts a lot longer.

Tins of cat/dog food punctured are also very good.

Edited by bakerboy

Were and how do you catch crayfish, I am in Kent is there any here, sorry but don't know much about this but I do know they taste good

Cheers

As said, loads of info out there. Click this LINKfor a map that details where signal crayfish have been found. If there are none in your area it may just be that nobody has looked as they think 85% of waterways have them.

Old bits of rabbit and pigeon work really well.

Do you want to come out with us again?

I was asking being he caught one!

Agreed though, that we went and tried various baits, they loved the rabbit I remember.

Yes we should get together for another day. :good:

• 2 weeks later...

the weird colouring was because you cooked rather than boiled

we did a few on the bbq last year, blotchy red colours on shell, made meat very dry and crumbly, much better boiling, boil untill they float to top of pan, try adding a few spices to the boiling pan, but the meat turns out succulent,

hopefully some nice weather will eventually come this year so we can get out again, kids keep asking

the weird colouring was because you cooked rather than boiled

we did a few on the bbq last year, blotchy red colours on shell, made meat very dry and crumbly, much better boiling, boil untill they float to top of pan, try adding a few spices to the boiling pan, but the meat turns out succulent,

hopefully some nice weather will eventually come this year so we can get out again, kids keep asking

I will be there 0n the 14th July, Alan had 250 in 1 hour yesterday