Pheasant poults needed Lancashire

Hi

It looks like me and two pals are going to get the ok from a farmer to release a small amount of birds to build up a rough shoot. Can anyone recommend a game farm in Lancashire or close-by where we can get pheasant poults or ducks?? I have had a look on the internet and found one out near Fleetwood but wondered if there is any more around?

Also can anyone tell me how many 6 week old poults go in a crate?

Thanks. :good:

Are you meaning Hi-fly at Pilling Lane?That's where we get our ex-layers.If it's a rough shoot you may not be wise buying poults to release immediately.If you have a pen however,then that's different.

We've never been disappointed with ex-layers from Hi-fly,on our rough shoot.They may not be good flyers when we get them,but they are by seasons start!

Edited by Scully

Are you meaning Hi-fly at Pilling Lane?That's where we get our ex-layers.If it's a rough shoot you may not be wise buying poults to release immediately.If you have a pen however,then that's different.

We've never been disappointed with ex-layers from Hi-fly,on our rough shoot.They may not be good flyers when we get them,but they are by seasons start!

Thanks Scully

It was Hi-fly. We were planning to build a small 5m x 4m pen and release them a few at a time over a few days. How do you release your ex-layers??

Thanks Scully

It was Hi-fly. We were planning to build a small 5m x 4m pen and release them a few at a time over a few days. How do you release your ex-layers??

A pen that size you put 7 in and let 1 out a day for a week. You will need a bigger pen than 5x4m to put any birds in as for realising they will make there own way out over the top or lift the wire up.

cheers john

Thanks Scully

A 5x4 pen will hold 18 birds. GWCT recomend 1bird per 1mtr of fencing. So if you are planning on releasing 100 birds your pen needs to be 25 x 25.

Thanks Scully

5X4....

Just about the right size for one crate of ex-layers;16 birds including a couple of cocks!We started off small also,two or three seasons ago. Our rough shoot is surrounded by several shoots;some formal,others not,and we were getting birds.Feeling guilty about shooting them we bought 50 ex-layers last year(plus a couple of bags of their present feed 'til we weened them on to grain)and shot 46 birds!They may not all have been 'our' birds,but we no longer feel guilty about shooting them!

We have no drives as such(no beaters)just five of us and two dogs;the crack is great and we have a real laugh(some of us can shoot very well,others not so,so there's a lot of taking the urine)and though bags are modest we have a fabulous time.

Anyhow,we started off with a pen roughly ten by ten,but have just this year extended it to an acre,picked up 120 birds the first week in June,and since they've now discovered the feeder springs,and how to use them, we've just opened the pop-holes this weekend as we also felt the cocks were hammering the hens too much.We wont get so many cocks next year.They're just allowed to trickle out at will,and they also know how to roost now as we erected rail bars in the pen amongst the trees so they could get off the ground.Landowners Mam has collected 73 eggs so far which are all in one of her incubators,and if we hatch any she intends to place them with broodies.We'll see.

This is extremely addictive,and no doubt you're going to need a bigger pen next year!I'm no expert(we're doing it on a suck it and see basis,and have joined the NGO also)but there are plenty of knowledgeable people on here,so ask away.

Edited by Scully

Hi

It looks like me and two pals are going to get the ok from a farmer to release a small amount of birds to build up a rough shoot. Can anyone recommend a game farm in Lancashire or close-by where we can get pheasant poults or ducks?? I have had a look on the internet and found one out near Fleetwood but wondered if there is any more around?

Also can anyone tell me how many 6 week old poults go in a crate?

Thanks. :good:

Russel Bury at Lane ends bolton by bowland. Pm me if stuggling. top guy and dont need any advertising (pheasants)