what makes a good marsh

xav

I was looking at the average number of wigeons wintering in various marshes and realised that there can be staggering differences between marshes only separated by a few miles. Of course all marshes are different and it's importrant to consider variables such as : how well and often the marsh floods, type of vegetation (mostly vegetated marsh or sand), crops and access to fresh water nearby, how often it's shot etc... Can you think of anything else ? I still find diffficult to understand that such big differences in numbers exist when most of the parameters seem to be similar.

I was looking at the average number of wigeons wintering in various marshes and realised that there can be staggering differences between marshes only separated by a few miles. Of course all marshes are different and it's importrant to consider variables such as : how well and often the marsh floods, type of vegetation (mostly vegetated marsh or sand), crops and access to fresh water nearby, how often it's shot etc... Can you think of anything else ? I still find diffficult to understand that such big differences in numbers exist when most of the parameters seem to be similar.

Its a funny one and depends on the year in question. I shoot two clubs and one is maybee a little too heavily shot at times leading to extra disturbance moving the duck off and another which is often undershot (for duck) and they can sit tight too easy and not get pushed about. I tell you both can be flustrating.

The biggest variable is always how much the individual knows of his marsh, that takes time to learn with no real shortcuts. So the best marsh might well be the one you personally know the best

I have my favourite and it is only because i really enjoy being there, not huge numbers of birds but normally quite a good chance of a shot, and as of now i am yet to meet any other fowlers there, unless they have come with me :good:

I also have my least favourite that is a stones throw from my door and is often alive with duck & geese, but it can be frustrating to watch birds heading to you to have them saluted by 3 or 4 other guns on the way through, but i still shoot a bit as it can give some really good shooting if conditions are right.