Which English Shotgun

dai_ceyl

Hello - I bought an a400 to go with my Beretta Ultralight a few months ago and it's been excellent, superb but now the time has come to buy a 'best' gun, and I have decided to get an English Side by Side.

I have a budget of £1500-£2000 - I can't afford one of the 'big three' such as a Purdey, H&H or a Boss & Co, but I've been looking at some of the excellent second tier London Gunsmiths.

So I was wondering out of William Evans, Charles Boswell and E J Churchill if any of the three stand out as better than the rest, or particularly good. I have my eye on a nice Boswell Boxlock, which of the guns i'm loking at seems in the best condition, but there is also a lovely William Evans Sidelock which, although isn't in such good condition is a) a Sidelock and B) of what I think is a better make and will therefore hold it's value better and maybe be a beter candidate for 'best' gun. I have the Berettas as workhorses after all.

Any advice welcome, general musings on different London Gunsmiths, or even (dare I say it) Boxlock vs Sidelock debate welcome!

Just be slightly careful if you see a bargain English sxs - it may be a bargain for a very good reason - thin barrel wall thickness, worn internals, off the face or loose ribs just to state four potential problems. Unless you are competent in knowing what to look for, my advice would be to get a 3rd party Smith give it the once over as any of just the four I have mentioned could turn a bargain into 'over the odds'

Not trying to put you off buying - just want you to be aware.

Peter

Thanks Peter - I have someone who works for one of the 'Big three' as an armourer letting me know what to look for, and i'm thinking of going into one of the big auction houses, such as Holts. There's a nice Stephen Grant sidelock there which looks good on initial inspection!

Its "condition" every time. Don`t worry about the name. Most of the well known English makers built some "best" guns and second grade or more ordinary ones.

But an old Evans sidelock that`s been well used and abused may well be unreliable and difficult to sell when you want to trade up at a later date.

Repairs to old sidelocks are horrendously expensive and a sidelock for less than £2k is going to be very very old and totally on its last legs.

Look for a good condition Boxlock ejector with quality features such as chopper lump barrels, disc set strikers or a scroll back action. But as dicehorn pointed out; be very aware or take someone with you who has a set of proof gauges or a bore micrometer. There`s a lot of rubbish out there thats been tarted up and the barrels fine bored to remove pitting, just to catch the unwary. As for bidding at an auction, just be aware of the buyers premium charged by the auction house; some of these are up in the 20% of the hammer price.

Have fun but remember `condition` is everything.

JJsDad

Thanks Peter - I have someone who works for one of the 'Big three' as an armourer letting me know what to look for, and i'm thinking of going into one of the big auction houses, such as Holts. There's a nice Stephen Grant sidelock there which looks good on initial inspection!

If it`s possible let your gunsmith acquaintance find you something through `the trade`.

Lots of good english guns still out there but it is a minefield for the unknowing person.

Hi,

For £1500-2000 be v careful with 'London' Guns,the budget is too skinny for a sidelock,at least for one in good condition.

For that money look at regional/Birmingham and Boxlocks.Greener/Powell/W&C Scott(they made Holland & Holland guns for H&H at one time and are massively underrated).If you are going to auction be very very careful remember the most important part of the gun you are buying in order are THE BARRELS THE BARRELS THE BARRELS.....conditon/proof/measurement being everything.

Is ejector important to you?Is it to use more than an investment or both? The best value at the moment and currently out of fashion are non ejectors and Hammer guns.I have just read Diggory Hadokes ''Vintage guns for the modern shot''..in a nutshell with a British good gun you are v unlikely to lose money in this budget so buy a gun that suits your intended purpose.WHilst sidelocks are I suppoose the swiss watch movements in reality a good boxlock is simpler and will last just as long.Have fun in your search.

atb