Duck decoy methods/setups

Markio

Hi chaps,

I'm keen to get a decoy setup ready for he coming season. Problem is i can't actually see anywhere on the web that shows a common or generally accepted methods of rigging up the decoys.

What i would be interested in hearing is about a single line setup that is anchored to the creek bank and deployed and retrieved without having go wading! Looking at using 6 decoys.

P.S. Not long to go now! :lol: :thumbs:

Hi chaps,

I'm keen to get a decoy setup ready for he coming season. Problem is i can't actually see anywhere on the web that shows a common or generally accepted methods of rigging up the decoys.

What i would be interested in hearing is about a single line setup that is anchored to the creek bank and deployed and retrieved without having go wading! Looking at using 6 decoys.

P.S. Not long to go now! :lol: :thumbs:

Motherline rope, non tangle pvc ancor line and motherline clips. all available on net. Just make sure deeks cannot cross over on change of tide and tangle

Motherline rope, non tangle pvc ancor line and motherline clips. all available on net. Just make sure deeks cannot cross over on change of tide and tangle

Thanks for the reply. Can you divulge a little more information about how they all work together, i mean do you weight both ends and chuck the lot in? Anchor one end to the bank then weight the other end?

Also, the extruded line, i've seen that mentioned for drop lines, sounds good but is it suitable for the mainline too? Do those oversized clips hold against the line under their own tension without slipping?

Lot's of questions, sorry. :blush:

Hi Mark , take a 40 yard length of line ( I use crab line )and tie a lead on the far end. Along the line at intervals tie a seris of loops to later attach the decoys and tie the end of the line onto a stout stick ( I use a hammer handle ). To the decoys tie a very short line with a swivel clip or one of the clips you can get from Tidepool.

On arrival at the creek ( assuming its full of water ) make sure the wind is not in your face and pull 20 yards of line off the stick. Attach the lead to the end and chuck it 20 yards out into the creek. Quickly clip the first decoy onto a loop and repeat with up to 8 decoys. Pay out line until the decoys are well out into the creek and in a bow pattern. The tide or wind will pull them out into the creek and then push the stick into the creek bank , but make sure you can get to it at high tide.

If the wind is in your face you will need several lines and a solid keel decoys. Pull off 20 yards of line and chuck the decoy as far out as possible. Quickly , before the decoy has time to drift back chuck out the lead out as far as you can. It should pick up the decoy and drag it 10 yards further out into the creek. Try attching another decoy or two if the tide is strong enough to pull them away from the bank. Repeat with a couple of new lines.

Couple of points.

Make sure the lead is heavy enough to hold the bottom .

Do not let your dog retrieve until the dead ducks have drifted well clear of the rig or you risk it tangling in the lines and towing the whole lot ashore.

If the tide is strong make sure the first decoy on the line is a very bouyant one say a mallard. A strong tide can pull a teal decoy under water.

Edited by anser2

Thanks for the reply. Can you divulge a little more information about how they all work together, i mean do you weight both ends and chuck the lot in? Anchor one end to the bank then weight the other end?

Also, the extruded line, i've seen that mentioned for drop lines, sounds good but is it suitable for the mainline too? Do those oversized clips hold against the line under their own tension without slipping?

Lot's of questions, sorry. :blush:

No the clips can slip in stronger flows, knots or cable ties sort this. how you set it out depends on were you are, i like to set in a slack line across gutters (not always all the way across) on the flood they bow one way then the other on return. Anotherway is to just do a staight line along your edge which is a little more natural, than ducks holding stationary mid current in a flow. If your mainline sinks as your clips also do and the connecting droppers are long enough a dog can swim over without tangling. I like to get them out at low water shoot the flood then drag them in after the ebb allows my departure. There are dozens of ways to play around with though

Nearly forgot, can that extruded line be used as the motherline?

EDIT: Just found some knock off paracord that seems to do the job according to one reviewer: http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B002IRW78G/ref=cm_cr_pr_btm_link_next_2?ie=UTF8&pageNumber=2&showViewpoints=0

The no-tangle PVC stuff is for the dropper links not the motherline. Could it be used? probebly but so could knicker elasic i suppose.

the motherline should sink and if you wish to use clips be of suitable diameter to suit.

Markio,

Just a tip.

If setting up on a low tide using a weight at the end of the motherline,

make sure the droppers to the decoys are at least 3m long.

If not the decoys float up on the tide then 'drown' if the dropper is too short. :lol:

You either end up with a bum on the surface or a submerged decoy. :/

Steve

Kirton Fowler