dogs rolling in fox mess how do you stop it

theosmith

just got a jack russel bitch, that hasnt been neutred yet and is 15months old!

its good off the lead and loves it chases the rabbits and squirels and has a brilliant time but it rolls in fox mess grhhh. how can i stop it from rolling in it as is stinks and ive had to give it a bath 4 days in a row, i dont want to have to keep dog on lead all the time to control it nor do i want to beat it up

any help advise apreciated

Mine did exactly the same this morning! She's only 4 months old. With our older dog JRT, I took a small drinks can with a couple of small stones in it and threw it at him if I caught him rolling in poo, he soon stopped doing it! After a couple of times, just rattling the can stopped him. My sister in law swore by this method, she bred GSD's for years and it always worked. The rattle is enough to distract them and is unpleasant enough that they soon learn

Edited by Ped

As for the smell,a good dollop of tomato sauce rubbed into the fur(gloves recommended) leave for a couple of minutes,you can spend this time trying to stop the dog licking off the sauce,and then wash off,if particularly bad will need a couple of applications,mine has slid through the entrails of a deer that had been gralloched a few days before when on holiday in scotland,he had a shock when he was thrown in the nearest stream to wash the main gunk off,the smell was off after two washes with tomato sauce.Mine likes anything dead and in particular decomposed,he knows if i catch him he is in trouble,and will dart away as soon as he sees me.

just got a jack russel bitch, that hasnt been neutred yet and is 15months old!

its good off the lead and loves it chases the rabbits and squirels and has a brilliant time but it rolls in fox mess grhhh. how can i stop it from rolling in it as is stinks and ive had to give it a bath 4 days in a row, i dont want to have to keep dog on lead all the time to control it nor do i want to beat it up

any help advise apreciated

Get rid of the fox?