whats the difference between a

mikky

my daughter wants a mac book,they seem more expensive than laptops that have similar specs..can anyone explain the difference ( if there is one )...she likes downloading music and playing games...is one better than the other for what she wants it for...reason she wants a mac cos her mates got one ...she currently has a 5 yr old sony vaio...

cheers mikky

my daughter wants a mac book,they seem more expensive than laptops that have similar specs..can anyone explain the difference ( if there is one )...she likes downloading music and playing games...is one better than the other for what she wants it for...reason she wants a mac cos her mates got one ...she currently has a 5 yr old sony vaio...

cheers mikky

Worth a read,

http://www.brighthub.com/computing/mac-platform/articles/83817.aspx

It can be frustrating using mac after being brought up on windows,and there are limitations with mac with some software,but mac is very stable.

If she is still at a state school, you should be able to buy a laptop (or any other "mobile"computing) through them, free of the VAT and at educational prices. Her school should be aware of this but if it applies and you need more info, get in touch. It is very little work for the school and will save you the 20%.

Nick

The difference is that with a mac you won't need a stress ball to help you get through the endless crashes and error reports You get with a windows laptop! Could go on all night with reasons.

trust me,

Once you go mac you will never go back....

Edited by ste 2712

I run both Macbook and Mac desk top and PC laptop and grew up on PC desk top. Conclusions so far:

1. A Laptop and Macbook will do exactly the same for the same spec.

2. Most common software is designed for Laptops and you'll need to buy Mac specific stuff.

3. There isn't as much teenage software (games etc.) for Macs but I'm too many years past that.

4. Most problems on both stem from the software and not the machine (that's why Microsplodge plays up on both)

5. Viruses - a zillion on PC's and you must have good protection. They are creeping in to Macs but I know a bunch of people who do it without any anti-virus software.

6. Macs are much more expensive and the educational discount for most is only £50

7. Laptops have a fan underneath so if used as on you lap can get blocked or get hot (constant problem with daughter's laptop). Macbook vents through keyboard so not a problem.

8. Macbooks look cool - laptops catching up but still a way to go.

9. Battery life on my Macbook exceeded anything I could find on laptop at the time.

10. Macbooks, like any other machine, do break down. My sister in law's is always going wrong.

11. If you do presentations and travel you need to make sure that anything done on a Mac will run on PC (not a problem for you but I've seen so many folk get caught out; this is a Powerpoint software problem)

12. Macs look good - I know, but they do.

13. Different command keys but kids will pick this up in a microsecond.

For my needs I would go Macbook. For my daughter's current needs (23) she has gone Ipad (did have a laptop). Plays games, does presentations for work etc, great for pictures, but no normal keyboard for school work if needed. Don' know if any of the above helps. I suspect the looking cool has a lot to do with it - as it would when you like to be seen with a nice gun!