advice on ducks

Hi all, got my duck poults a couple of days ago and they all settled in well. This is my first year of putting ducks down, and am a bit worried because they seem to be quite tame and not bothered about me being near them. Is this normal or not?? Also how often do I need to check on them without making them even more tame!!! Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!

Hi all, got my duck poults a couple of days ago and they all settled in well. This is my first year of putting ducks down, and am a bit worried because they seem to be quite tame and not bothered about me being near them. Is this normal or not?? Also how often do I need to check on them without making them even more tame!!! Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!

they are always tame when you have them, the trick to getting them to fly is feed them away from the pool if they are hopper fed put it on wheels so that you can move it every few days and end up with them feeding about 200 yards from pool, if you dont you will end up chaseing them about with boats and all sorts of other silly stuff trying to make them fly and eventually give up haveing ducks, this is going to be the last time i give advice on ducks as nobody has the balls to feed them away from the water round here and i am kind of tired of repeating myself

Progressivley feeding a distance away from the home pond is certainly the way forward to ensure that ducks will fly, and fly strong.

Fail to do so, you run the serious risk of ducks simply swimming around the pond, fat and lazy, not bothered about beaters, dogs, bangs etc. You will struggle to get them up, even if you do get them up, it won't be for long, a waste of time, effort and feed and money.

Done properly ducks provide some excellent shooting, done incorrectly (the lazy mans way) they will generally provide very little, poor shooting.

webber

Good advice.On a big non-commercial shoot I used to beat on the pond margins were fed,as a result ducks were chased from county to county by dogs,but never got above head height,and if they did they would make directly for the water.Waste of time,effort and money.

We have two ponds on our shoot with predominantly cattle in the grazing fields on one side and arable crops on the other. We use auto timer feeders on 45 gallon drums and the ducks have been fed pond side in the past. Last year we had considerable difficulty in getting the ducks off the water.

If we were to feed away from the ponds, it would be easier to site the feeders in the grazing fields, so that the ducks don't ruin the crops. However, we then have the issue of the cattle getting at the grain, we've got past experience of what cattle can do to the feeders when they've escaped into a field containing them on the pheasant drives.

We can't be alone in having this problem, so does anyone know what methods we could use to protect the feeders from the cattle.

We have two ponds on our shoot with predominantly cattle in the grazing fields on one side and arable crops on the other. We use auto timer feeders on 45 gallon drums and the ducks have been fed pond side in the past. Last year we had considerable difficulty in getting the ducks off the water.

If we were to feed away from the ponds, it would be easier to site the feeders in the grazing fields, so that the ducks don't ruin the crops. However, we then have the issue of the cattle getting at the grain, we've got past experience of what cattle can do to the feeders when they've escaped into a field containing them on the pheasant drives.

We can't be alone in having this problem, so does anyone know what methods we could use to protect the feeders from the cattle.

four posts and some stock netting upside down so that the big holes are at the bottom, birds can walk through

• 2 weeks later...

they are always tame when you have them, the trick to getting them to fly is feed them away from the pool if they are hopper fed put it on wheels so that you can move it every few days and end up with them feeding about 200 yards from pool, if you dont you will end up chaseing them about with boats and all sorts of other silly stuff trying to make them fly and eventually give up haveing ducks, this is going to be the last time i give advice on ducks as nobody has the balls to feed them away from the water round here and i am kind of tired of repeating myself

I tried you advice this morning and it worked a treat thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Our ducks on the pond are flying well, even though we have no option of feeding more than 30 yards from the pond, everytime they are fed they are pushed off the water by the dogs and once in the air they circle until the feed goes down. A bit different but seems to work, we will really know Oct when we shoot it for the first time.