What's the deal with boiling rabbits?

Thunderbird

I was watching Mark "game for anything" Gilchrist on YouTube and he was on about boiling a rabbit for a couple of hours so the meat falls off the bone easily. Obviously I get the principle of it but doesn't the boiling leech out a lot of flavour?

What's your method if different?

Boiling rabbits as with all meats dries it, makes it go stringy and takes away a lot of the flavour. It reminds me of the texture and probably the taste of cotton wool. You will get a much tastier result if you braise in the oven or just simmer very gently on the hob. To encourage people to boil meat in my opinion is a very amateur thing to do and shows lack of respect for something that has given its life to fill our belly. Surely if something has to die it deserves to be prepared to the best of the cooks ability.

Dont get me started on some plonka that declares himself 'THE' game chef. Does he not think the rest of us know how to cook it. Having said that I'm going to try to copy his form of self promotion and offer myself up as an expert so from this day forth I shall only be known as THE banana chef.

I was watching Mark "game for anything" Gilchrist on YouTube and he was on about boiling a rabbit for a couple of hours so the meat falls off the bone easily. Obviously I get the principle of it but doesn't the boiling leech out a lot of flavour?

What's your method if different?

is he not talking of that new water bath way? sealed in a bag at very mild temprature?

mark gilchrist is an arrogant ***. I guess you have to be quite up yourself to have your own youtube channel and dvd's, especially when you look like that...

Not necessarily. I was thinking about putting a few videos on you tube. Mainly because people from here and a few of my friends keep asking how I do certain things and it's easier to video it than it is for me to write some of the techniques I use. I have to admit though that while I would be doing it for friends, it would appear his things are purely about self promotion.

To be honest the thing that gets me the most is that he is a self proclaimed game expert. When there are a great many that can do so much more and better than he can. After a few years in this industry you can get to spot the ones who are really talented. We say they have good hands. It's just in the way they hold themselves while they cook and the techniques and finesse they use. I'm sorry to say that after watching a few of his videos good hands is not something he has.