Is autumn early this year?

Down South

I've been up to our pen today to check the poults and they are good this year, well advanced and lively, getting through some grub too, they'll soon be on wheat.

My wife came with me and while I was busy she picked 3lbs or more of black berries in about 15 mins, no trouble. We now have several jars of jam cooling on the window sill, lovely.

I took a look around and noticed that the hawthorn bushes are loaded with red berries already. The swifts left over a week ago, swallows are massing on the wires and I also noticed on the shore the terns are forming into quite large groups. It all seems a bit early to me.. Whats happening your way?

Apples are turning into windfalls, and my pears are already to fall as well. The killdears are already flocking up, and swallows are in large flocks sitting on the wires here aswell. Have spotted a dozen hard maples turning red and orange and my chestnut trees are already starting to drop their leaves. It definately looks early this year.

NTTF

I am already picking sloes mate. I wouldn't normally expect to do so until late September early October and the leaves are falling from the trees :friends:

LB

ooooo are you making sloe gin?

talking of sloes, i remember when i was a kid, my grandmother used to make sloe gin, and she made us a blackcurrant pie once. only it wasnt blackcurrants. daft blind bat whom i love dearly used sloes instead. i have never tasted anything so bitter in all my life. :drinks::drinks: