releasing pheasants

WE USE TENTS OR SOME SHELTERS IN THE PENS, WE PUT STRAW UNDER THEM WITH PELLETS AND INTRODUCE THE POULTS BY PUTTING THE CAGES TO THE STRAW, OPENING CAGES AND LET THEM WALK OUT, DON`T CHASE THEM, WE PUT A DRINKER AND FEEDER AS CLOSE AS POSSIBLE TO EACH SHELTER

Edited by malantone

If they are not wing clipped defno release them into cover.

For the first week hand cast 2 or 3 handfuls of food under the feeders so they know where to look.

Buy a few bags of mixed grit or sharp sand and spread it around the pen.

Clean fresh water is essential.

Make sure there are to many shelters. Split a bag and hand cast some food under them for the first 2 days.

Walk them into pop holes every day for the first 2 weeks (at least).

Worm them within the first 2 weeks before they start to get out, them again after 4-5 weeks.

Keep your bags of pellets dry, if you use spring feeders check them every day for blockages, especially if it rains as they turn to mash when wet.

Ensure your pen is ready in advance, if you have an electric fence around it make sure it works and walk perimiter to check for holes in netting.

Walk the pen to ensure you haven't closed a rabbit, leveret, hedgehog e.t.c inside that could either spook or kill birds in the case of the latter, deal with appropriately. Snare any runs around the pen, you'll be visiting twice a day so checking snares as you are there is simple and could help account for a Charlie or two.

Plenty of fresh water and feed supplied and I like to see the birds leave the crates of there own accord, nice and slowly. Where possible release early in the day to give them time to acclimatise.

make an ark :good:

is about right with the way this year has been :yes:

and i'll add

slabs under feeders or all the feed that falls on the floor will be waste with this rain,

prepare a few areas for feeders as you will need to move them as the ground will turn to ****e

avi lyte b plus or similar in the water as the birds go in, and times of stress / feed change

keep the feeders running light as you will most likely have to change feed for medicated feed, as medicating through the water can prove inconsistent at best, or useless

make sure you have areas that will catch the sun right round till late eve, if the sun shines for five mins the birds will want a warm, and will wander for it

good luck!!

Edited by Paul223

Some sound advise on this thread; although I would avoid putting straw into the release pen as Aspergilosis could easily wipe out all of the poults.

webber

I would usually agree, however we had water running through one of the pens last week, straw under the shelters was the only option of giving the birds something dry to get into / on, that said i'm keeping a close eye on it and it may go soon