Barby or Wedenock

Robl

I’m after some opinions on two local clay clubs.

I live between Wedgenock and Barby shooting grounds, and I’m wondering which one to join.

I do plan to visit both clubs and make up my own mind, but I’d be interested in any opinions people may have about the clubs.

I’m thinking about things like the layouts, the hire gun quality, the facilities, the costs and the overall ambiance of the clubs.

I don’t want to start a fight between the two clubs.

I just want to get an idea of which would suit me better.

• 2 weeks later...

I've never been to Barby but have been to Wedgnock. I really enjoyed it, decent layout and really nice atmosphere. I first went there for a round of sporting at Christmas and have since set up a clay shooting society at uni and have decided to use Wedgnock as they have been really helpful and have given us good discounts!

I'm a member at both though Wedgnock is the closer of the two.

Barby - Open Wednesday and Saturday. As has been suggested before Barby is the more friendly of the two and offers squadded rounds so you can go on your own and be certain that there will be someone there to press the buttons and keep score. The scorers are usually exceedingly competent shots too - one was the U21 Warwickshire county Skeet champ I believe. If you need a bit of coaching then Gordon Coates there is truly brilliant and endlessly patient (taught me from scratch). There is an added benefit that the Rugby and Northampton gun shops are part of the same business so the chances are that there will a Browning demo gun available as well as advice and guidance. Cost wise - certainly as far as Sporting goes the costs are the same £8 for 30 targets. Typically there is a 30 bird sporting on at Barby plus Compact and Skeet. Barby is about 25% of the way into a massive ground makeover that is transformimg what was once essentially a big flat field into a landscaped multi-layout ground through the importation of 30,000 tonnes of soil - will be excellent when its finished and even now are making good use of the revised terrain. There is also a very good restaurant in the club house akin to a food-pub and its popular with the non-shooting locals too.

Wedgnock open Sunday morning 10-1 and Tuesday evenings in the summer months has undergone a bit of revival over the last 18 months especially with regard to the 60 bird sporting shoots and has become massively popular. Two years ago the targets barely changed from week to week and then re-think and investment occurred and it now offers a very varied and challenging set of targets to test one's skills at. The ground was once the site of an army firing range and is now more or less a dirt road with stands off to either side - its good fun to shoot. I'm not sure, shy of booking a lesson if you can borrow a gun at Wedgnock - the Sporting rounds are self-service so you need to take a friend as a minimum. It is a good ground and there are probably 50 or 60 cars in the car-park most Sunday mornings.

Edited by Cosmicblue

I've shot at only Barby once when i tested 2 guns, one i bought the shop in rugby Gordon took me round and it was good, once its been transformed i do intend to go back and see if i have improved and if i did the right thing buying the browning and leaving the beretta on the rack...............