Proper Deer dog !!

vulpinehunter

My wife though I was mad, my mate could not believe the SIZE of the creature I take out stalking!

She is called "Sika" and is just over three now.

When I started to train her I took her with me lamping for rabbits on my quad/side x side.Not all the rabbits were found for a start...then something must have "twigged" she then started to find them on regular basis.

I normaly shoot around 20-30 rabbits then pack up (the butcher can only sell so many!) Sika is sent out after may be two or three at the most.

She never "cries" or makes a sound.After 18 months she came stalking with me and had no interest in any deer I shot.

The bit of liver was a bonus for her, then again she must have put two and two together and found her fist(came across it would be more to the point!)

When she was about two & half she did start to find them.

Now she is very keen and runs straight to the deer following the blood trail.

I must point out that I keep her on a lead so she does not rip them apart when she finds them!!

Here she is then on the last one she found....if i can upload the photo....

Some of you will reconise that she is a Yorkshire Wolf Hound some times mistaken

for a Yorkshire terrier!

post-10066-0-58303300-1343079579.jpg

Edited by vulpinehunter

My bedlington whippet x is ace at following up deer as well as flushing pheasants. she's got as good anose on her as any 'gun dog'/'deer dog'. My mate (dairy farmer)took out a deer stalker with all the gear and a teckle, he shot and lost a fallow, out comes the teckle 1/2 hour later no joy. Pal gets the old farmyard collie...straight to it. :lol: