110 Cluth

Tiger955i

Hi all

Around six weeks ago I bought a 2001 defender 110, TD5.

When I bought the vehicle the clutch biting point was fairly near the top of the clutch pedals' travel with little free movement felt from pressing the pedal to feeling the pressure of the clutch its' self. Now approx 1000 miles later there is a good inch of free play (against the pedal spring only) before you can feel the pressure take up of the master cylinder then the clutch biting point is about three quarters of an inch below that. There does not appear to be any slipping of the cluch that I am aware of. I have checked the fluid level and that is fine. The milage is just over 90,000.

Is there some form of wear adjuster built in to the clutch mechanism which would accout for this change? Or is this an indicator of another problem?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Jamie

Drag the mats out of the drivers footwell and check for fluid around the clutch pedal. My clutch master cylinder is on the way out and there's fluid in footwell. I don't seem to have lost much from cylinder though.

Other than that check around the slave cylinder for a leak. Both common on Lands.

If its the same as my defender...

remove the screws on the coverplate on the clutch box (its up by the brake servo) inside is a push rod which is adjustable. 'lengthen' the rod by adjusting the nuts, and this should improve the bite point. To back the bite point off, shorten the rod.

(I might have got that back to front, but its definitely that push rod that needs adjusting :good: )

Edited by WelshLamb

If its the same as my defender...

remove the screws on the coverplate on the clutch box (its up by the brake servo) inside is a push rod which is adjustable. 'lengthen' the rod by adjusting the nuts, and this should improve the bite point. To back the bite point off, shorten the rod.

(I might have got that back to front, but its definitely that push rod that needs adjusting :good: )

Nope you got that spot on Lamby

atb im

Thank you all for the replies:-)

There are no leaks in the footwell, I will look at the slave cylinder at the weekend and check for any air in the system. If everything else is ok I will adjust the push rod and keep an eye on how it performs. I know when I had my series 3 I had to adjust the pushrod from time to time.

p.s. apologies for the bad spelling :-)

Jamie

I thought the clutch adjuster pedal rod was to bring both pedals in-line at same level (ie. brake + clutch pedal same level) :hmm:

Not to adjust the bite :hmm:

The clutch pressure plate takes up the wear on friction plate.

Check the slave rod and pivot arm in the bellhousing, they have a habit of malfunctioning.

Other than that, check for fluid leaks at Slave cylinder + master and `back-bleed' to remove any air in clutch system. Replace faulty items :good:

My bets on a weeping slave seal :rolleyes:

Edited by mrwabbits

I thought the clutch adjuster pedal rod was to bring both pedals in-line at same level (ie. brake + clutch pedal same level) :hmm:

Not to adjust the bite :hmm:

The clutch pressure plate takes up the wear on friction plate.

Check the slave rod and pivot arm in the bellhousing, they have a habit of malfunctioning.

Other than that, check for fluid leaks at Slave cylinder + master and `back-bleed' to remove any air in clutch system. Replace faulty items :good:

My bets on a weeping slave seal :rolleyes:

Didn't your dad tell you not to argue with a woman even though you're right. :no:

lol

I beg to differ but hey ho :P

The only adjustment is the pedal height and pushrod free play.

The bite is dependant on the wear and tear of the friction + pressure plate /release bearing + what pressure (ie: hopefully no air) in the hydraulic system. :hmm:

:lol: :lol:

He did , so i wont :D:good:

Edited by mrwabbits

Hi all.

Thank you for the replies, all sorted now.

I checked the system over and there are no leaks or air thank goodness.

I removed the cover plate from the clutch box and the two nuts on the push rod had backed right up to the ends of the threads so half the movement of the pedal was not doing anything. All sorted now and the nuts are good and tight :-)

Have a great weekend.

Jamie