Dismantling spent cartridge head from case

I've bought a Widgeon whistle, which was made by fitting two 12g cartridge brass heads together. I'd like to try and make another, but it's proving harder than expected to strip the spent cartridge down.

The whistle was made from Fiocchi and Eley heads, so I assumed they were used. Can you buy new branded heads?

Is there an easy way to get the heads off the plastic case or is it never going to come away?

Any advice welcome. Thanks.

Hold the plastic with a pair of long nosed pliers, heat the brass ( i usually heat untill i can see the plastic start to melt off the brass ) then grab the brass with some pump pliers or similar and pull off.

I have a perfect ball point hammer which opens the brass up just enough to push the other piece of brass into it but i cannot find the thing at the moment!

I made a load of these a few weeks back. As above for seperating brass and plastic. I joined mine together in a different way. Using the waste plastic trim one end and glue it into the brass. Once dry trim the plastic end so that it sticks out 5mm or so. Then stick the other brass end on. Job done! Flush fitted brass without have to cut it or bang the 2 together.

Used cartridge.I warmed the brass up with burnig gear,but could do with gas hob.Push the primer out first.It is a real pain fitting the brasses togother watch your fingers,and best done with small press or vice.

Good luck.

Like this above- your supposed to be a fitter bud- expand one first with a tapered dowel, easy then :good:

Thanks for the tips.

This is my first year wildfowling, so don't know how close they are to the real thing, but they sound pretty close to Widgeon calls I've heard online.

Pretty smart trick if they do actually work.

They do, but dont beat the brass trumpet type . Best use is to give them a bit more confidence to pitch in to your spread, rather than sit there wistling away like a demented kettle. Make a fair fox call too

Like this above- your supposed to be a fitter bud- expand one first with a tapered dowel, easy then :good:

I am but spent to many years swinging the 7lb hammer. I gave 4 apprentices empty carts to make me a whistle and they all gave up.I got their in the end.I must be gifted as i can call teal widgen mallard and my claim to fame is gadwall by myself without the aid of a call. but i will persist in trying to call geese much to the amusemet of everyonone else.All may work mates think i have terets-a goose tick.