What gun to go for

naso8383

It really depends on how much ££££££££ you have to spend , but like the above said try as many as you can before you buy one, I'm sure if your a member of a club there are plenty of people who will let you have a go of their guns :) I also won't bore you to death about gun fit, I'm sure someone will bring the subject up soon ;)

what ever you get just make sure it fits you or you wont drop much ,depends on what you want to spend ,ive shot silver pigeons brownings ect ect ,but if its just for rough/pigeon shooting /field gun i just stuck with a Baikal,as it don't matter if it gets marked,and there built to last like a russan T43 tank lol,,i my self have always shot with a double trigger non ejector ,never really got on with single select ,found it to fiddly and with a non ejector your not having to pick up empty's,but it can be handy when hide shooting when you have loads of action ,with my Baikal i have the option to turn off the ejectors ,just remember shotguns all do the same thing even if you pay £10 for one from the auctions or pay £1000s for a purdey ,they are steel tubes which shoot out lead shot ,just make sure it fits ,like the other chaps have said try as many as you can ,ive also stuck with fixed chokes like imp cylinder --1/2 cylinder for deeks or 1/2--3/4 choke for field ,but if you get multi chokes you then have the option to swap them around to suit your day out shooting ,

happy gun hunting ;-)

At 20-25 yards out of a hide most 12g shotguns will do the job, irrespective of make, choke, fit etc. Just chuck it in your shoulder on some clay grounds first and learn to point, swing, move (not aim) a shottie. If it doesn;t 'fit' you and you are on a budget you can adjust yourself to 'fit' it.

Also don't be swayed by people who say a semi is essential, I reckon if you get as far as needing the 3rd shot you might as well forget the bird anyway.

It depends on your budget really. I certainly wouldn't advocate buying a new gun if you're a beginner until you get into the sport and see whether you really like it and are going to continue doing it.

At the beginners stage, I would go into a gun shop and look at the second hand rack and pick a good quality second hand gun at a price range to suit, and then once you've done that just shoot it for a bit until you've got the bug for it.

Once you've got the bug then you can go further.

Thanks for your input, speaking to the farmer up the road where I currently shoot rabbits with my trusted BSA r10 he reckons that a semi 20 bore will do he trick, I have about £350 to spend could be more if I shift the BSA,

I know it's down to personal preference and how to gun suits, I am 6 foot 1 and large build

Regards

Gavin

Have a few lessons, speak to a few shops or knowledgeable people and then apply for a SGC if it is still for you.

You will be looking at a second hand gun on that budget but could still get something solid and reliable. Better to buy a good Baikal than an obscure make with no parts or service back up. Cheap guns are cheap for a reason but thats not to say you won't get good low priced guns in your budget.

Make sure you get your eye dominance properly identified and the gun is a reasonable fit.

Something with 1/4 and 1/2 chokes will deal with most situations.

I have O/U's from £225 and side by side from £200.

Don't forget the price of cartridges they go up with different gauges so 12 gauge is the cheapest,(basic catrtridges) then 20 gauge is quite a lot more, then 28 a lot more then 410 a lot lot more.

You will also be shooting a lot of them especially if you shoot clays where 50-100 clays a day at the club is average wit some going to 200 clays, so the price of cartridges is a very large cost over the years

Dont agree that cheap guns are cheap for a reason, they are all made by CNC methods these days, a lot of the difference in price is only percieved value caused by good marketing, i doubt anyone can name a bad gun made today apart from the exceptional friday afternoon gun that slips through QC in all makes

Pretty much any shotgun. Go for a 12 bore, yes a 20 bore will do the job but you make it slightly easier for yourself using a 12, and unless you need something slightly quieter or with less recoil (which you should not have any issues with) your better with a 12. The cartridge price and wider choice of guns is well worth it.

Any type is OK, be it pump, semi, side by side, or over and under. Over and under might be the best bet, many people find them easier to shoot, and as they are break action it's easier to see when they're safe - a very good thing if others are around.

If you've never done any shotgunning before you need someone to teach you, it's the exact opposite of rifle shooting in every way. Until you get the hang of it you won't hit anything, so you need some time on clays to learn what to do. Unless you know a reasonable shooter who can take you out on the clays, you'll have to go to an instructor.

Get a gun that fits. It need not be perfect, and it is possible to shoot a gun that doesn't fit well, but you'll do better with the right gear. Obviously you need the help of someone who knows what they're talking about to know what fits you.

As to price, a £50 guns works just as well as a £5000 gun - fit is more important than price. The more you pay, the nicer the feel and balance of the gun, so the budget is up to you.