Freelander2

gixer1

I may be able to help here. I drove a FL2 for 2 years and now have a D3. My wife drives a FL2.

There are a few common niggles with every car (both FL2's the rear wiper packed up because they are badly designed at get water in - can swap them DIY in about 15 minutes).

Had to do a few more bits to the D3 but I bought it cheap with 120K miles so I knew what I was getting into. It has had a new clutch and new EPB.

Both are really great cars. I prefer the Disco, but if I was told I had to live with a Freelander I could happily. They are both very capable off road (the D3 is better with a low box and air suspension that can be lifted) but I have driven round muddy fields in both and they are very capable. With the Freelander you just have to 'trust' the computer and it will get you out of the mud. The car is parked in the pic below in about 1' snow - it just drove out.

utf-8BSU1HMDAwNzgtMjAxMDEyMDItMTEwMC5qcGc-1.jpg

If you want to know any more just ask.

Edited by apache

Having had three Discoverys,all been good I now own a Freelander 2 it is by far the best Landrover I have had and there is a forum freel2 that gives lots of advice but bare in mind most forums only flag up faults.If I have one minor grumble it is the smaller boot space but I was aware when I bought it.40+ mpg on the motorway and goes like ****.The manual has had some dmf problems but the auto is slicker than a chickens lip.

sorry should have said one series1 and two TD5s

Edited by B725

To give some background I am thinking about trading my D3 for a FL2 (2.2td4) drove it and it feels fine to drive and quite spirited but it's the offroad ability and ruggedness that worries me - also I have heard the FL2's are way more reliable than the D3's - and as fantastic a car as my disco has been I have had to fit bottom arms, hubs/wheel bearings and a couple of brake pipes.

So on light of the above would any of you have anything to add?

I have owned FL1's, range rovers and td5 disco2's in the past so am familiar with the green oval but not with FL2's specifically.

Thanks for the info so far... :good:

How do the running costs compare between the D3 and FL2?

Regards,

Gixer

On my second FL2 now, got the first one the day they came out and total mileage for both is around 120k (90 + 30) without a serious issue. MPG around and about 34, on a motorway run 42.

Comments about computer and 4x4 drive are absolutely true - never been stuck in snow or off road.

Regards

Tony

The biggest problem with the FL2 is ground clearence. I scraped it most times I went mildly off road, never yet scraped the Disco as I raise the height (I have scraped tow bar a bit but that doesn't count).

There is no way on earth I would downgrade from the D3 to the FL2. The D3 has a better ride hight and is a pleasure. Nothing wrong with the FL2 but if we are going anywhere we take the Disco, despite it drinking a bit more fuel. We have one of each parked outside. The FL2 wins in multi-story car parks.

Can get 30mpg on M way in Disco, 38 in FL2.

• 4 weeks later...

My FL2 has 103,000 miles on it now.....rear diff' bearing done at 70k (LR now do this as opposed to replacing the whole diff' making it relatively cheap fix if it goes south), clutch at 90k and one driveshaft a few weeks back. Other than that it has tyres and pads/discs, that's about it. I service it myself which is peanuts to do. Fuel wise mine is averaging about 35/36mpg, I've driven it over some horrible ground and in severe snow and it has never let me down, very comfy too due to it's ride quality/driving position.

Agree with Neil about a relatively small boot......it does have plenty of headroom though, as my Pointer will testify.

Get a well sorted one and I'm sure you'll be very happy with it, they are great cars.

Edited by ziplex

Had the FL2 for around 2 weeks now and really am enjoying it, plus sides are it is nippy and light on its feet compared to the disco, and the last fill up was £99 - 70litres (15.4gal from empty to brim) and it did 504 miles to that which I think comes out around 32.7 that was commuting mostly (around 18 miles each way) and one longish run of 45 miles each way so not too bad at all. I think on a long run it'll do 36-38 mpg no problem. Where as the disco was £112 (about 79ltr or 17.4 gal) and would do around 420-430 miles on that so around 24-25mpg on average.

The bad points are -

a slightly noisier engine note.

the drop in boot space.

lack of cubby holes for storing odd's and ****.

Lack of xenon lights

Lack of harmon kardon stereo (although it isn't bad)

I have already installed a witter detachable tow bar and my mp3/hands free parrot device.

I drove 140 miles in it today and feel as fresh as I would've in the disco.

Overall for the saving in fuel, insurance and general running costs I think it should be a good change, I have been round all my usual offroad bits and would say it doesn't even blink although you have to plan the route a little more carefully.

It also has good year road tyres on it so those will get changed for AT's at some point.

I also had the freelander up on a ramp having a nosey and they are WAY better protected than a disco - I would advise anyone with a disco 3 to check how many exposed multi-plugs there are under your car and get them protected in some way!

Will report further as I go but so far so good!

Regards,

Gixer

Had the FL2 for around 2 weeks now and really am enjoying it, plus sides are it is nippy and light on its feet compared to the disco, and the last fill up was £99 - 70litres (15.4gal from empty to brim) and it did 504 miles to that which I think comes out around 32.7 that was commuting mostly (around 18 miles each way) and one longish run of 45 miles each way so not too bad at all. I think on a long run it'll do 36-38 mpg no problem. Where as the disco was £112 (about 79ltr or 17.4 gal) and would do around 420-430 miles on that so around 24-25mpg on average.

The bad points are -

a slightly noisier engine note.

the drop in boot space.

lack of cubby holes for storing odd's and ****.

Lack of xenon lights

Lack of harmon kardon stereo (although it isn't bad)

I have already installed a witter detachable tow bar and my mp3/hands free parrot device.

I drove 140 miles in it today and feel as fresh as I would've in the disco.

Overall for the saving in fuel, insurance and general running costs I think it should be a good change, I have been round all my usual offroad bits and would say it doesn't even blink although you have to plan the route a little more carefully.

It also has good year road tyres on it so those will get changed for AT's at some point.

I also had the freelander up on a ramp having a nosey and they are WAY better protected than a disco - I would advise anyone with a disco 3 to check how many exposed multi-plugs there are under your car and get them protected in some way!

Will report further as I go but so far so good!

Regards,

Gixer

Thats a hairdressers car Gixer , go back to the disco or buy a truck . Love to see you put a big southern red stag in it without cutting it in half . Mind you ,you could cut it four and put a bit on each seat .

Harnser .

Harnser .

Edited by Harnser

Thats a hairdressers car Gixer , go back to the disco or buy a truck . Love to see you put a big southern red stag in it without cutting it in half . Mind you ,you could cut it four and put a bit on each seat .

Harnser .

Harnser .

Yes Harsner, you're right, I really miss the £660 bill for a replacement steering pump, the £1200 quote for two brake pipes, the £750 for the dual timing belt change, the £615 for the air suspension steering pump, the £150 per side on the hub/wheel bearing change....as big a fan of landrover as I am (I have had a few) I have to say the disco 3 is a fantastic car but the running costs for some of them are astronomical.....

The freelanders seem to get a rave review..so worth a punt and it's gotta be better than the cheap jap cack some people run... :yp:

Edited by gixer1