Myxy?

Vulcha

We have myxy appearing around my shoot, not a pleasent site. I try and shoot as many as i can to stop them spreading.

Alex :angry:

Yep agreed got to get them out of the population, we seem ok up here for now but my m8t's over the hill have seen it. just got to hope we have a harsh winter to see a few of the carriers off. :good:

Sounds like Mxy - but don't despair the local population recovers quickly. Rabbits produce 6-10 young every 28 days.

We had it bad here in West Dorset last November and now you would never know.

I've just been to Inverness - they have it bad there 'The Noo' - but things will get back to normal soon. Normally around 40% of the rabbits effected survive and produce more young.

B

Excuse the long post but what follows is an extract from my recent MSc dissertation on rabbits briefly detailing the history of myxxy in the UK.

"1.2 The affects of myxoma

Since the first early escapes and local establishments of free-living ‘wild’ populations of rabbits took place, they have been seen as a major pest of agricultural crops. Numbers of rabbits had increased in the wild up to an estimated 100 million at the turn of the 20th Century (Battersby, 2005). In the 1950’s, as a means to control or maybe even in an attempt to eliminate the rabbit population, the myxoma virus (Leporipoxvirus) was introduced unofficially into Britain (Fenner & Ross, 1994, Thompson, 1994). This viral disease is transmitted in Europe and Britain by the European rabbit flea (Spilopsyllus cuniculi) and causes death to rabbits by the disease myxomatosis. Myxomatosis is a severe generalised disease that in the majority of cases is fatal (Fenner & Ross, 1994). This disease caused devastating population crashes throughout Britain, in some areas by up to 99% (Packham & Willis, 1997).

Following these crashes the recolonisation of myxoma resistant rabbits was slow, as myxomatosis kept the numbers of rabbits low (Lockley, 1976). Following the decimations caused by myxomatosis the rabbit population slowly recovered and by the mid-1990’s the population had recovered and was at an estimated 37.5 million (Harris et al, 1995). Due to this slow recolonisation of rabbits, the effects of rabbit grazing under high and low population densities have been studied in-depth. Where this has been studied in dune systems, the rabbit is undoubtedly the dominant grazing animal (Boorman, 1987, Boorman, 1989).

However, since the mid-1990’s the population has again declined and there has been up to a 25% decline in the British population (Battersby, 2005)"

As you can see, assuming my sources were correct :oops: , myxxy has been present since the 50's. In my own personal experience myxxy has been present throughout much of the UK since the population crashes, however, only in a low rate of incidence. In my own area myxxy occassionally rears its ugly head and causes a small population crash, but the rabbits rapidly recover.

Some rabbits appear to recover from myxxy and live normal lives, however, if I encounter any then I choose to put them out of their misery. But they DON'T end up on the dinner plate! I don't think myxxy can affect us, but it is not worth taking any chance by eating a sick animal!!

Hope that helps

Karl.

P.S. As for my dissertation, did I pass ... of course I did!!!

Karl (BSc. PGCE. MSc.) :angry::huh::good::lol:

Sorry I meant ure dissertation. Im at uni just about to start my second year.....Obviously im gonna have to do a dissertation at some stage (im hoping to do my masters too) i was just wondering when writing it if it was really necessary to write the scource of every line of text immediately at the end of the line, or if u could just write the sources in the end of the report.....hope that clears it up lol...

-Andrew

Dude just slightly off topic...do u really have to show every source in such a destinct detail or can u just list the sources in the appendix at the end? Because Im gonna be doing mine year after next and it looks quite "detailed" LOL..

-Andrew

Referencing is normally done within the text.

(and the sources listed in a bibliography, not an appendix)

Shot a few rabbits with funny eyes of late. A sort of baldness around the eyes. One appeared to be blind on one side and had obvious fleas. Most of my rabbits are pretty fit but I examine every carcase I take for human food for basic healthy condition. Some have liver fluke from one place - even the young rabbits. I saw some cysts in a rabit around the liver yesterday - they were kind of in a mucous trail in the chest. They might have been tape worm cysts - I don't know.

Since I went over to hollow point rimfire, it is often difficult to examine the eyes. There is often not a lot left if shot at 50 - 60 yards. They don't argue much mind - 'Ping - SLAP' and they roll down the hill. I still can't believe the CZ is much quieter than any of my airrifles.

TheSkyFox

When you write your dissertation I would suggest you go to your college library or university department office and ask them for a copy of their standard referencing system, or of course nowadays it may be on your Uni's intranet site.

That will tell youi exactly how your uni wants everything referenced.

However, usually whenever you introduce facts/information/quaotes/etc into a dissertation or uni essay then you have to quote your source in the text and then list all your referenced sources in a bibliography.

Did you not have to write any coursework essays in your first year? If you did then I am surprised that you have not already been introduced to a standard referencing system.

Hope that helps

Karl