Android Tablet sub £150 .

vole

I am after a Tablet pc so I can send the odd email , browse forums , go on BBC sport and watch I player etc . Absolutely no need for an I Pad or the other top end stuff , just something functional that will work off wi fi and has 8 in screen plus . Cameras do not matter either . So many on the Net so thought I would ask here . I like Android and guess one of their recent operating systems like ICS would be best . Thanks for any info .

My mate has the blackberry and loves it,i had a play and it does the job,bit slow on start up,but then i have the ipad,so the differences can be vast,but for the money can't be bad.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/blackberry-playbook-tablet-pc-64-gb-10647930-pdt.html?srcid=198&cmpid=ppc~gg~(DTP)_Tablets_-_RIM~Blackberry_PlayBook_Exact~Generic&mctag=gg_goog_7904&gclid=CICHrdmMgbICFcUPfAod2BEAcg

They can be found cheaper with a quick look around.

Nexus 7 or kindle fire perhaps?

Heard the Fire has no expandable memory and not available yet . I love my Kindle so would be interested if it suited my needs . There is alot of ads for the Flytouch which seems to tick many boxes .....

I have a Nexus and love it. Have Galaxy Tabs also, but needed something with more power. The limited storage is not a major issue as most stuff sits in the ether anyway and I have an unlimited data contract on my phone, which I tether the Nexus to .

8GB @ £150, 16GB @ £199

Regards

Mark

My mate has the blackberry and loves it,i had a play and it does the job,bit slow on start up,but then i have the ipad,so the differences can be vast,but for the money can't be bad.

http://www.pcworld.c...CFcUPfAod2BEAcg

They can be found cheaper with a quick look around.

Just nipped out and bought one @ £129 for a 64 gb pad can't go wrong, soon as you connect to the wifi it will update itself to the latest o/s for it. Also bought a folding case and screen protecor for £15. Syncs with gmail and hotmail with no problems can also pair with a BB phone so you can use the phones keypad and track ball to control the tab (bit of a gimic). Screen resolution is good, one review nocked the cameras quality, not yet tried it. Also works with android apps not sure how many.

Also if you have a duel band (frequency) router it works on both bands so saves congesting the primary band if you have lots of wifi equipment.

Edited by BerettaSV10

Heard the Fire has no expandable memory and not available yet . I love my Kindle so would be interested if it suited my needs . There is alot of ads for the Flytouch which seems to tick many boxes .....

I bought my Mrs a kindle fire nearly a year ago ,it's fantastic and although you can't expand the memory she has never found the need to.She stores everything in her "cloud"

I paid $190 for it ,be interesting to see how much itwill cost in rip off Britain

Just nipped out and bought one @ £129 for a 64 gb pad can't go wrong, soon as you connect to the wifi it will update itself to the latest o/s for it. Also bought a folding case and screen protecor for £15. Syncs with gmail and hotmail with no problems can also pair with a BB phone so you can use the phones keypad and track ball to control the tab (bit of a gimic). Screen resolution is good, one review nocked the cameras quality, not yet tried it. Also works with android apps not sure how many.

Also if you have a duel band (frequency) router it works on both bands so saves congesting the primary band if you have lots of wifi equipment.

My daughter is after the Playbook for her 14th birthday , thanks for the write up plus all other responses here . The Kindle Fire seems a bit limited but I am prepared to have a fiddle with one on the display rack at John Lewises in a couple of weeks . Think I am upping the budget a bit and looking at the Google Nexus or Samsung Tab 2 .

+1 for the Nexus 7 - I've pretty much stopped using my laptop for anything beyond direct work related stuff, my nexus is now my go to device for browsin, reading and movies, storage isn't a problem and i've rooted it to accept stickmount so I can plug in additional usb drives.

I have both the 7 and 10 inch samsungs and they are excellent.

There is a cheap Asus model that you can get for £150 or so (mentioned above).

As far as I know it’s a perfectly adequate bit of kit – the only problem is the battery ages very quickly compared to a Samsung or apple.

But, with the speed that tech moves on it’s possible it will be obsolete before the battery dies anyway.

Consider getting one with a slot for a sim, then you can get a PAYG data sim to use when required.

I put £20 on a sim and leave it switched to Wifi most of the time, but if do want to take the tab on a journey it just costs me about £1 a day (or £2 in Europe) for some mobile data.

If you want it as a home device to allow sofa browsing then look for something large and light.

10” tabs need two hands to use – one to hold, one to press.

A 7” tab can just about be used one handed if you have big hands.

I have both the 7 and 10 inch samsungs and they are excellent.

There is a cheap Asus model that you can get for £150 or so (mentioned above).

As far as I know it’s a perfectly adequate bit of kit – the only problem is the battery ages very quickly compared to a Samsung or apple.

But, with the speed that tech moves on it’s possible it will be obsolete before the battery dies anyway.

Consider getting one with a slot for a sim, then you can get a PAYG data sim to use when required.

I put £20 on a sim and leave it switched to Wifi most of the time, but if do want to take the tab on a journey it just costs me about £1 a day (or £2 in Europe) for some mobile data.

If you want it as a home device to allow sofa browsing then look for something large and light.

10” tabs need two hands to use – one to hold, one to press.

A 7” tab can just about be used one handed if you have big hands.

Hi Robl , which ones have sim slots and do you use yours abroad ? These are absolutely new to me so excuse the basic questions .