What next?

JustJon

So... Been shooting clays properly for just over a year now. Loving it and shoot clays most weekends, also trying to experience as many other areas as possible and thoroughly enjoying it.

So far I've done a couple of driven pheasant days, been deer stalking with a friend, tried the world sporting in the cotswolds (clays) and this year I have a partridge day, walked up pheasant day, goose flights booked.

What else? Considering an air rifle and rabbits? Would like to experience lamping for fox? What else goes on the 'Shooting Bucket List' ?

Thanks,

Jon

what's a good lever action shotgun that you can recommend me

It's difficult to advise you since I've only ever "fondled" *one* lever-action shotgun - viz, my *own*.

First, though, I must point out that "Chaos" isn't a cool nickname. It's a *description*. *Anything* I touch - or, sometimes, just get *near* to - breaks. No, really, I *mean* that.

Therefore, when I describe problems that I've had with my lever-gun, you have to remember that I have problems with *everything*. (I recently had my three main guns out of commission, two of 'em with firing pins that I broke within three weeks of each other.)

Everything after here should be suffixed with "as far as I'm aware"...

There are two lever-action shotguns that I'm aware of: the Winchester 9410 and reproductions of the Winchester 1887. The former is very similar to the traditional "cowboy" lever-action rifle; you load 'em from the side and they feed and eject just like the rifles. These, I know very little about because I've never handled one.

As for the '1887, you can go down two routes. The first is to buy the Chinese gun made by Norinco. It'll cost around six hundred squid. The other is the Italian Chiappa equivalent. It'll cost twice as much as the Chinese one.

*I* elected - for *once* in my miserable life - *not* to buy cheap (and, possibly, *twice*). I bought a Chiappa "Cowboy Hunter" 1887 because:

[a] It ought to have better fit and finish.

It comes with a "lifetime" warantee.

[c] It's multi-choke and comes with cyl, half and full chokes.

[d] It comes with an "Speed Loader" adapter.

I ordered it last May and took delivery (IIRC) in December. Yes, it took a *long* time coming. The Norinco can be bought off of the shelf, but the Chiappas are made to order.

So, how does it shoot?

I've got to say that for the purpose for which I bought it - PSG - it's pretty poor compared to all the boys (and gals) with their tacticool, black guns avec huge "shower rail" magazines. The Chiappa will only hold 5+2 and, since there's no safety catch - or, rather, only a "half cock" safety catch - I have to start "option 2" (ie, "cruiser ready" - full mag, empty chamber) and I am thus limited to six shots before I have to reload.

And, I'm afraid, loading is *very* slow. You can load *one* pretty quickly. Two, ain't far behind. Any more, though, and it's "fumble, fumble" time.

In addition, after a couple of outings, I took the forends off to make sure that it wasn't wet underneath and ... I couldn't get 'em back on again. :(

This was - eventually - sorted (read "bodged") by the importer but, even so, I had expected this sort of problem to occur with the Chinese copy.

Also, the stock is a little loose - it's not got any worse but I'm keeping an Eye on it.

A couple of weeks ago, I took part in one of our club open matches and managed to come ... last. I was explaining the problems that I've had to a shooting buddy and, finally, he asked me whether I regretted buying it. I had to "fink" about this but the answer is, "no".

I may have come last but I reckon that I had more *fun* than all the other competitors put together.

So, yeah, it's expensive. It's slow to load. But, in the words of "Blackadder's" Captain Darling, it's also "*enormous* fun"! :)

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Mark.