What's the fault with it terry? New engine sounds drastic and rarely does it require a full engine? The usual is heads on that age and that's a sub grand repair

The garage have had a good look at it . We thought at first i was the Cam belt, and then the cam shaft. It was neither, there is some sort of timing belt and that was replaced but to no avail.

They have stripped down the engine, and say that if they replace the "top half" the bottom will probably go, so a new engine or recon engine is the answer but the cost would outweigh the value of the vehicle.

I know nothing about this sort of thing, and the Garage in Stevenage AJS have always looked after me well, and I believe he is acting in my best interests.

So it is off to the that breakers yard in the beyond for the truck.

I will probably need to get it lifted back to my home so if you know anyone with a trailer that would do a deal for a pensioner please let me know :good:??? .

Cheers

Terry

Is this a Navara? A mate had one and liked I alot. I have a Disco that will need replacing soon and have thought of a pickup.

Jonathan

Yes it is a navara aventura,it's the long way down package, so has the sun roof,sat system etc,love driving it,and with the canopy on you can get a fair bit in the back,in that pic my dog is in his cage in the back,had a drive of a new navara 3l auto when mine was being serviced and was impressed,might go for it in a few years time.its worth looking about as some navaras have hard lives,others have been town cars and the heaviest load was probably the driver,get some decent tyres on and it will get you about a field,but it ain't a land rover ,so if you are looking at big bogs and ponds get a Landy, but if you want heated seats ,air con ,sat Nav big stereo,leather seats,cd,you get my point.

The garage have had a good look at it . We thought at first i was the Cam belt, and then the cam shaft. It was neither, there is some sort of timing belt and that was replaced but to no avail.

They have stripped down the engine, and say that if they replace the "top half" the bottom will probably go, so a new engine or recon engine is the answer but the cost would outweigh the value of the vehicle.

I know nothing about this sort of thing, and the Garage in Stevenage AJS have always looked after me well, and I believe he is acting in my best interests.

So it is off to the that breakers yard in the beyond for the truck.

I will probably need to get it lifted back to my home so if you know anyone with a trailer that would do a deal for a pensioner please let me know :good:??? .

Cheers

Terry

Interesting what were the symptoms? basically the 03 was the year for dodgy heads so if it went low on compression and was hard to start then went in lots of smoke then thats the problem. New heads on them are pretty cheap if that is the issue £300 or there abouts and then you swap over the camshaft etc from yours and refit with a garage doing it my one last one was about the grand. If they don't deal with many of them then its possible they don't know too much about the regular issues, if it is then there is no reason the bottom end will go after. My old one had the issue and I had 40K after that before the turbo went and i sold it but the engine was sound other than the turbo. With the age it is you will still get a load back on ebay, If its still insured and you can find a towing bar I can tow it back for you same if you locate a trailer.

Hi Alex

Thanks for the advice, and offer of assistance.

The garage will keep it on the forecourt no problem, so that is one problem out of the way. The rest was far too technical for me so I will take Andy's (AJS) advice, e bay it and see what happens, he reckons there is about £1250 in the truck as it stands so fingers crossed.

probably at least that with a good advert might be worth a pm to wabbitbosher as he is usually up for a bargain and mechanically minded so may be interested. Had my old one off me and had another yours is pretty tidy

Old truck gone. Collecting new Steed SE midweek.

Back on the road