how many decoys.

lister1

It depends how much walking you have to do and how much you can/are willing to carry. I will take anything between 2 and 20. I prefer teal decoys due to size and weight, but will sometimes throw a couple of mallard in too.

If you're starting out, why not just buy a half dozen and see how it goes? You will build to your collection over the years.

If it's an evening flight, I'd put between 6 and 12 max depending on circumstances (size of flash, wind, time in season), sometimes I don't even bother with any. If I shoot the tide on a big gutter I try to carry as many as I can. The most important thing is to ensure your pattern is as realsitic as posssible and your decoys don't look to regimented

Depends, how many duck do you normally see in a bunch at your location 6 or 60? it needs to appear normal 60 deeks on a flash that never holds more than a dozen will look wrong but vice versa also.

Can't say I agree entirely with the last part of that but we're all of differant minds and experiences. I think if your just starting out half a dozen mallard and a few teal will do fine for now and build them up over time.

If you are decoying a flash at dusk , half a dozen is likely to be plenty , There may be some advantage in going for mallard as being larger they will be more visable to the duck in the dusk. On the other hand if you are shooting on a large lake at dawn or the open shore on the tide use as many decoys as you can easly manage. I find 16-20 medium sized decoys ( wigeon ) is as many as i can manage on the foreshore , but when shooting from a boat on a Broad ( Norfolk for lake ) I may use 40 plus a few goose decoys.

As Reabrook suggests get 6-8 to start with and see how you go. One of the joys of country shooting shows is hunting out bargin decoys so just had a few more as you go. But I find 8-10 is plenty on one mother line . Once you get more decoys get a second mother line.

Edited by anser2