The vagaries of flight lines

JDog

I decided not to shoot yesterday afternoon but to try to understand the behaviour of pigeons on a strong flight line.

The line originates in a large mixed conifer and broadleaved woodland which I can actually see from by bedroom window. The birds head out of the wood into the wind and pass over three fields of permanent pasture and then several fields which were rape this year and which have been cultivated and sprayed, so no feed value in the initial part of their journey.

They then cross over a road defining the boundary of one estate and the neighbouring land. At this stage they have flown 1.5km as the crow flies. They then fly over two wheat stubbles ,only recently harvested with plenty of grain on the floor, over another road, then the full length of another wheat stubble (recently direct drilled with OSR) to a barley stubble where they want to feed. Their journey by this time has been 3km.

The line was straight and strong and precise with upwards of 100 birds along it whilst I watched for an hour.

No doubt when I go to shoot the barley field tomorrow the birds will be feeding elsewhere.

So you spent the day in bed ? :hmm:

Not all day! Birthdays and Bank Holidays are for other things too.

No I am lucky in that I am able to shoot over all of the ground around the village where I live and I could see clearly the origin of this particlar line. I walked to the first road the pigeons crossed with the dogs and sat up with binoculars for an hour or so.