Refinishing the stock on an AYA Yeoman

Andy135

Am a bit confused of the whole process ..

1/ Sripping off old varnish

2/ Rubbing down, various grades of sand paper/0000 wire wool

3/ Removed dents/damp towel iron

4/ Gentle rub down to achieve smooth, dust free finish

5/ (Is there a phass whereby the "Walnut stock" has to be sealed ? .. if so with which specific product?)

6/ Multipule coats of staining till the desired shade is reach (unsure of whats the best stain to use for Walnut)

7/ Sealing with Tru-oil .. or is there a better alternative?

Im guessing that the whole process goes along these lines, obviously till the desired shade is ultimately acheived ... if lm off the beaten track, l'd be grateful for advice. I certainly dont mind being told lm going about something the wrong way .. lve posted to learn ... atb

I used "CCL traditional gunstock oil finishing kit" to good effect. A three bottle kit with a cleaner and oil and hardener. I believe that if you google their product name followed by "instructions" you can view or download to see the process before buying. Even if you do not buy it the instructions contain good info on the process. I didn't use stain as the oil will darken the stock anyway. Also, I used wet and dry paper from a car bar as this can be used with water when cleaning and finishing whereas as sandpaper gets soggy and useless.

Good Luck

Am a bit confused of the whole process ..

1/ Sripping off old varnish

2/ Rubbing down, various grades of sand paper/0000 wire wool

3/ Removed dents/damp towel iron

4/ Gentle rub down to achieve smooth, dust free finish

5/ (Is there a phass whereby the "Walnut stock" has to be sealed ? .. if so with which specific product?)

6/ Multipule coats of staining till the desired shade is reach (unsure of whats the best stain to use for Walnut)

7/ Sealing with Tru-oil .. or is there a better alternative?

Im guessing that the whole process goes along these lines, obviously till the desired shade is ultimately acheived ... if lm off the beaten track, l'd be grateful for advice. I certainly dont mind being told lm going about something the wrong way .. lve posted to learn ... atb

Bit out of order and a good grain sealer is better than tru oil won't have it near my guns

Which grain sealer WW .. atb

Cheers Bobba ..

Ive a slight problem .. at the front most of the forend, it appears sodden in oil, or more accurately, was .. lve managed to heat and bring it to the surace, but lve still got a darker oil stain tone, approxiamately the first 20mm or so of the forend .. was wondering if anyone got any suggestions how to get round this

Edited by hoggysreels