suzuki jimny diff leak

foxnet22

I have run a jimny for over 10 years, never had this problem but I can tell you how to fix it. First of all check the axle breather - make sure it is clear, a build up of pressure within the axle can cause any oilseal to fail. If its blocked , clear it with an airline with level plug removed to ensure flow of air through breather, clean off any leaking oil from rear hub bearing area and top up axle and try it. If you still have a problem remove the halfshaft from the offending side complete with brake backplate etc. there is an oilseal in the axle tube which runs on the halfshaft this is the offending seal. Remove it carefully without damaging the axle tube, clean all surfaces apply some silicon grease to the new oilseal and press in into place with a suitable round tool (socket, piece of tube etc) I have fitted the front ones by just pushing carefully with fingers providing it is well lubricated. Check halfshaft where oilseal runs for damage rust etc. lubricate with silicon grease and refit halfshaft etc. A lot of oilseals fail because of blocked breathers you just might be lucky - Regards

I have run a jimny for over 10 years, never had this problem but I can tell you how to fix it. First of all check the axle breather - make sure it is clear, a build up of pressure within the axle can cause any oilseal to fail. If its blocked , clear it with an airline with level plug removed to ensure flow of air through breather, clean off any leaking oil from rear hub bearing area and top up axle and try it. If you still have a problem remove the halfshaft from the offending side complete with brake backplate etc. there is an oilseal in the axle tube which runs on the halfshaft this is the offending seal. Remove it carefully without damaging the axle tube, clean all surfaces apply some silicon grease to the new oilseal and press in into place with a suitable round tool (socket, piece of tube etc) I have fitted the front ones by just pushing carefully with fingers providing it is well lubricated. Check halfshaft where oilseal runs for damage rust etc. lubricate with silicon grease and refit halfshaft etc. A lot of oilseals fail because of blocked breathers you just might be lucky - Regards

Excellent advice. A related problem is where the diff has got hot through hard off-roading and is driven into deep water. The diff cools quickly and the drop in pressure inside it sucks mud in through the breather or sucks a gasket out of place. You can prevent this by running a hose from the breather inside the car.

One other thing I would check if you do remove the halfshaft is the condition of the axle shaft bearing, they are a sealed pre- lubricated bearing and you should get a competant person to check it . These bearings have to be fitted with a special tool on a hydraulic press . so behond the diy mechanic. If this bearing is faulty it will have excessive play and be noisy and rough, when they fail they soon become audible to the driver. The seal earlier mentioned should always be replaced at the same time as a bearing. Sorry to add more possible problems but I dont want you to miss anything and have do the job twice.