FAC for leisure shooting + ammo sizes

b16jus

I dont know much about FAC but from what i have read when applying you need to provide good reason for owning and proof of access to shoot etc

My question is when i want to clay shoot i go to a clay shooting ground, does sutch a place exist for rifle shooting ? i.e turn up lay down and shoot some targets ?

If so how do you apply but quote for target leisure shooting ?

Also can someone explain the 0.22 0.17 to me i presume they are just different sizes but not 100% sure

Thanks

J

Edited by b16jus

.22 and .17 are the calibres, the nominal internal diameter of the barrel. In the examples quoted they are imperial measurements, point two two or point one seven of an inch. Other calibres, mostly continental in origin use metric measurements such as 9mm, 6.5mm etc.

What I think you are after is a rifle club. Find a home office approved target club near you and join as a probationary member. Until your probation (3-6 months) is served you use club guns, afterwards you can apply for an FAC with a range only condition.

Edited by Blunderbuss

Yes, there will more than likely be a rifle/pistol range near you, a simple google search with 'gun club' / 'shooting range', followed by your local town should help you.

If you are wanting to only target shoot, you must, by law, undergo at least 3 months probationary membership of a recognised club, following which the club should give you the relevant reference. At most clubs, members will give you a few shots and friendly advice on their own guns, and there may be a club gun you can shoot when you attend. Good reason for purchasing a firearm for target use is usually "for competition/target use, at...."

Give your local club a ring and they will put you right, good luck, and let us know how you get on...

Edited by Bloke

Thanks to both of you, yes thats what i couldnt understand but it makes sence the club are then your referee and for target use only.

im from romford in essex ive just done a search and found one in hornchurch and one in basildon but to be honest i dont mind traveling a little if someone can recomend any

Thanks

J

you have one not too far away,well a dam sight nearer than me, you may of heard of it..

Your only just over an hour away :good:

Bisley !!!! Mind you you may need to buy a special uniform :wacko:

I take it you told a porky, your not really from "montego bay"

Edited by Dougy

It also depends on what type of shooting you want to do-smallbore or fullbore,competitive or just for fun. Smallbore (rimfire) is your cheapest-ammo which can be bought for as little as £20 per 500 rounds and there are generally more of these ranges around-many being indoor so you wont even get cold during winter.Rifles can be sporting types or the funguns-AK's.M16's etc or even long barreled pistols.

Fullbore (centerfire) ranges can be split into two categorys-gallery rifles and large calibre rifles. Gallery rifles are chambered for pistol calibres like 38special/357mag,44mag,45LC etc and usually they're leveraction.These calibres are quite cheap to reload.

Large centrefire calibres like 308,223,303,7.92 etc etc require a different shooting range to the others due to being much more powerful and are 99% of the time outdoor.Distances can be anything upto 1200mtrs when on MOD ranges.

If you're unsure contact the NRA for advice into what type.

firstly get a few books, they are quite good things and have served mankind for many years they also contain less BS than the internet.

You also need to be a full member of a HO aproved club, this will involve regular attendance and a probationary period to have a "leasure shooting" actually "target shooting" Fac you wont get one for plinking on your own or with mates even if you own suitable land. most importantly the club should teach you safe handling, without this you are a hazard to yourself and the general public

firstly get a few books, they are quite good things and have served mankind for many years they also contain less BS than the internet.

You also need to be a full member of a HO aproved club, this will involve regular attendance and a probationary period to have a "leasure shooting" actually "target shooting" Fac you wont get one for plinking on your own or with mates even if you own suitable land. most importantly the club should teach you safe handling, without this you are a hazard to yourself and the general public

Don't want to hijack the thread, but what books are about that can be recommended for target shooting? The only ones I have found have been almost exclusively game shooting or Prone Smallbore target stuff, I would love to get some. Oh, I did find an on-line free download of a book called the "Art of shooting", not bad as far as it goes..