Chinese lanterns

wyatt

Not wildly different (species excepted) than clipping a bird and it dying in a hedgerow unable to fly

I'm a bit confused, are you referring to reared pheasants? If so how do they die in hedges because their wings are clipped?

Edit: Just realised you meant winged when shot, not wing clipped. I still don't think its the same, as on every shoot I've been on very strenuous efforts are made to find and dispatch every runner.

Edited by Blunderbuss

I find it interesting how many members have mentioned the word "ban". Just because I don't like something doesn't mean I'll meddle with it. Think about it chaps, talk like this falls quite close to home when you consider other subjects...

I like the idea of the biodegradable ones. They shouldn't land when they're lit.

This has nothing to do with just hating them. They are genuinely a danger.

Not wildly different (species excepted) than clipping a bird and it dying in a hedgerow unable to fly

It's hugely different. When you shoot a bird, you know roughly where it lands and you can retrieve it quickly and dispatch it. Not so with these things, which are just left and can come down without anyone noticing until it's too late.

to extent you may have a point. however a wounded bird can usually walk and therefore take to cover and shelter from the elements and in some cases even still feed. the picture shows an owl [endangered] unable to walk and therefore feed or drink. Edited by aga man

I'm a bit confused, are you referring to reared pheasants? If so how do they die in hedges because their wings are clipped?

No (and advanced apologies for the confusion!). I am talking about clipping a pigeon/any bird with a lead shot peppering - enough to hurt not kill. I appreciate my use of the word "clipped" was a poor selection.

Edited by LondonLuke

It's hugely different. When you shoot a bird, you know roughly where it lands and you can retrieve it quickly and dispatch it. Not so with these things, which are just left and can come down without anyone noticing until it's too late.

To a degree I see your point but I must say (and clearly cant justify with a government website) that an infinitely higher amount of birds "suffer" from less caring and moral shooters (of which you speak above) than that of those coming to harm from lanterns.

to extent you may have a point. however a wounded bird can usually walk and therefore take to cover and shelter from the elements and in some cases even still feed. the picture shows an owl [endangered] unable to walk and therefore feed or drink.

Yes and usually birds avoid being killed by chinese lanterns...;)

I appreciate that being an owl this is a picture which causes more impact but were it a picture of a pigeon that had been taken by a lantern would it create the same reaction?

Yeah, ban them and balloons, oh and clowns, I don't think clowns are dangerous, I just hate them, Yeah ban them as well, Unless we can set them on fire and watch the float higher and higher before going out and hurtling earthwards to their death. Did I mention I hate clowns.

:lol:

I fail to see how Owl and lantern could become one. Perhaps that particular Barn Owl was a contender for the Barn Owl Darwin award