Starting out homebrewing

ace_of_hearts

I am a total novice but want to start homebrewing.

What would be a good foolproof 'all in one' kit to get me started on and where is the best place to get them?

Are some kits better quality than others? I guess it is worthwhile to get better kit to start of to re-use on future batches.

Also how long does it take from setting up to drinking?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big plastic fermentation bucket with a tap at the bottom. Big pressure barrel with a float and top-tap. I got my kit from these guys http://www.youngshomebrew.co.uk/beer%20equipment%20home.htm

Then you can shop around and get the mix kits for Cider/Lager/Ale or whatever you fancy. I've currently got 20L of hard cider on the go for less that 40p a pint, its just finished primary fermentation and will be barrelled to get fizzy either tonight or tomorrow. Total time until first pint; about 21-30 days.

All the best with getting drunk off your own brew, its a great feeling! Even better than just getting drunk!

Zapp as the orical on homebrew could you recommend a nice ale and larger that I can brew have treid a few now but there not great .

Im talking Kits not brae enough for the whole hops and malt experience yet

atb Jim

For lager, I'd go for one of the Coopers kits - I've done the Aussie Lager in the past and it turned out really well.

Where ale is concerned, without a doubt go for Woodefordes Wherry - a slightly more expensive kit but the results are very good.

You will improve beer kits that require the addition of sugar to the fermenter if you use a Beer Kit Enhancer, which is basically 50% dry malt extract and 50% brewing sugar, or if you use just dry malt extract instead. This will increase the price per pint, but they make a real difference. The Wherry does not need sugar, so the extra cost is negated.

One other tip would be to buy some Campden tablets, which are sodium or potassium metabisulphate in tablet form, and add one to the 23 litres of water you are going to use 30 mins before brewing and leave with the lid off. These will remove chloramines from the water, which cause the TCP flavour a lot of kit brewers complain of. After 30 mins, use the water as per the instructions.

Re the Happy Brewer, glad to hear he is still going - is it still the ex Policeman running it?

• 2 weeks later...

Went to the Happy Brewer today and go myself a full brewing kit :good:

Have just set it up now in the dining room. First question though, should I snap the bucket lid down and use an airlock or just leave the lid loose for the 4-6 fermentation days?

I ended up with the Wherry kit in the end, and also have a demijohn to try some wine ready for Christmas. Very excited :)

Did you rehydrate the yeast in some cooled, boiled water first? If so, I would expect to see something by now. If not, I wouldnt worry too much, it can take a little while to get going if pitched dry.

If there is still nothing in another 12 hours I'd be tempted to get hold of a pack of Nottingham ale yeast or similar, rehydrate and pitch.

+1 for what zapp said RE the extra yeast. It may well be that the liquid wasn't quite at temperature for the yeast to kick in, and it takes a large volume of liquid like that to heat up or cool down depending on the ambient temperature of the room. If the rooms a bit on the cool side, you might want to up the temperature just to get the yeast going. Tou couldl aslo take a sterilised spoon and give it a really good stir to mix the yeast up and oxygenate the whole lot. Obviously, every time you lift the lid or put something into the beer you do risk the chance of bugs getting in but I find it's more resilient than you'd think.

Just for information - using rehydrated yeast is a good thing to do on a couple of counts, one, yu know the yeast is working and viable, and two you have less chance of getting an infection in the beer when the yeast is working so you don't have that 6-12 hour delay you have in waiting for dried yeast to start.