Armsan A612 gas leak?

defender

Hi all

I'm new to gas automatics and I've just bought a used Armsan A612 in nice condition from a shop.

I put 90 cartridges through it on my first outing and I noticed a patch of burning on the barrel so after I finished I cleaned it thoughrly.

On my second outing at just over 30 cartridges I saw the patch start again so I carried on, at about 100 cartridges i noticed the stock was coming loose so I stopped using it and the patch was bigger so this time I took photos of it

here's a pic with the fore end still on

20120921_145602_zpsa6327644.jpg

and here's a pic with it removed

20120921_141909_zps56074855.jpg

here's a pic from further away

20120921_145344_zps29e97453.jpg

To me it looks like theres a leak between the barrel and the gas cylinder the gas piston goes in.

Anyone got one or can offer advice?

Cheers

On that last pic it looks like there's a leak, almost like a pin *****. I have the same shotgun and have never seen anythink like that on mine. It looks too localised. After cleaning can you see any imperfections in the finish?

When I cleaned it after the first outing it seemed ok in that area but I imagine with more use the finish in that area would degrade.

It looked to me like it was "spraying" out from the join between the barrel and the piston cylinder, in theory the kind of fault that you would find in the first few months of ownership and have the assembly or the whole gun replaced under warranty.

Only having had my licence for a year and it being my first semi auto I decided to put it to the pigeon watch members for experienced advice.

From the posts so far the general opinion seems to be it 's faulty and needs to go back so that's what I will do today.

Thanks all for your contributions :good:

As I said earlier I think you'll find it's normal to find sooty deposits on the barrel, as the gasses are vented through slots cut into the forend profile.

Check the picture below and you can clearly see the slots, next to the arrow from no.28.

armsan_zps9c870ac4.jpg

It's nothing to worry about, and the barrel can be easily wiped down as part of the cleaning process.

Edited by poontang

As I said earlier I think you'll find it's normal to find sooty deposits on the barrel, as the gasses are vented through slots cut into the forend profile.

Check the picture below and you can clearly see the slots, next to the arrow from no.28.

armsan_zps9c870ac4.jpg

It's nothing to worry about, and the barrel can be easily wiped down as part of the cleaning process.

That's to help with cooling/ somewhere for the heat to escape.

The gas shouldn't leak through the weld like that.

i was planning on getting one of these too !

****** !

I think it was getting sent back to the manufacturers, I bought it used but it has prolly done maybe 50 shells it looked hardly used so the origional owner prolly didn't notice it but I'm very critical of anything wrong when I buy used.

At least you know one thing to look for :)

Edited by defender

Franchi raptor similar ish money ?

http://forums.pigeon...__fromsearch__1

Have seen them cheaper

http://www.gunstar.c...le-gs86790.aspx

The model I bought was the red action sporting 30 inch barrel, 3 chokes with choke case and shims and still with the cardboard box it came in.

Hardly used condition for £350 very nice for the money if it wasn't for the gas leak it would still be here :(

The stock coming loose was a fairly minor thing, the near 200 28g shells I put through it all cycled perfectly

The model I bought was the red action sporting 30 inch barrel, 3 chokes with choke case and shims and still with the cardboard box it came in.

Hardly used condition for £350 very nice for the money if it wasn't for the gas leak it would still be here :(

The stock coming loose was a fairly minor thing, the near 200 28g shells I put through it all cycled perfectly

A girl who regularly shoots at a local straw bail clay shoot has one, she said its never once jammed nor has she experienced any other problems over the last year she's owned it.