Mackerel

tenbored

on a beach near me there have been a few big mackerel caught on the fly and a few seatrout too.

anyone else do a bit of sea flyfishing,no cracks about feathers :yes:

Tryed it once off of West Bay when I had my own boat, used a sinking line and tryed varying depths, when on they really give a great fight! From the shore/rocks I imagine it won't be too different so i'd say give it a go, you'll need a rod with a fair bit of backbone and a heavy line tho', say a WF9.

Never done it myself, but I worked with a South African guy who was over here for a few years and he loved it, he very successful too, mainly just by 'thinking outside the box' as marketing people would say :yes:

He just did what he thought would work, not what everyone else did.

He went down to Dorset and saw people fishing from the beach and catching much, so he swam out to the rocks with his fly rod in his mouth (yes really!) and fly fished from there - while the beach fishermen stood there in amazement at his audacity as he pulled them in one after the other :lol:

There is a bit more about the sport here, if you didn't already know about the site that is:

http://www.ukswff.co.uk/

I have fished "flies", or rather large feathered lures, from a boat and caught pollack, mackerel, garfish and bass.

My few attempts from rocky shorelines have been less fruitful, with just a few small pollack.

Using a trout rod from the beach is difficult, because of the distance off shore the fish are at, making them difficult to reach.

Very hard work, for little, or no reward and as such, gets very few fishermen interested in doing it.

There have been occassions when I have been feathering for mackerel, when they have been literally at my feet and I wished I had a fly rod with me, but those times are too rare to justify taking fly gear, "just in case".

Well we ended up with 2x fishboxes full to overflowing of mackerel and a few smallish pollack up to 2lb.

None I hasten to add on the fly rod :look: When we did hit the mackerel they were deep in 20m of water and when we drifted over the reef in less than 4m there were no fish at all :whistling:

We found a shoal during the last 30 mins that was just huge,9 out of 10 drops produced full houses :look:

So I now have 10 fat ones in the freezer along with some pollack and when it cools we`ll have a smoke day :good: