what would you do

pigeon pete

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you seriously think it's illegal to eat a mars bar whilst driving!!! ???:lol: :lol: :lol:

A nursery nurse who was stopped because she was holding an apple while driving was fined yesterday following a prosecution which her solicitor described as "nonsensical".

He also criticised Northumbria Police and the Crown Prosecution Service for ordering aerial photographs, a video shot from the force aircraft and a video recording from a police car be produced for the trial which lasted more than two-and-a-half hours.

But South Tyneside Magistrates ruled that Sarah McCaffery, 23, of Hebburn, was not in proper control of her Ford Ka as she negotiated a left hand turn with an apple in her right hand.

She was fined £60 and ordered to pay £100 costs at the 10th court hearing into the case which started at 8.20am on December 4 2003 when she was pulled over by traffic officer Pc Lee Butler in Monkton Lane Hebburn.

The officer, who has 10 years' experience, told the court he was sat in his stationary patrol car when he saw a woman driving with her right hand by her face and believed she may be using a mobile phone.

He stopped her and discovered she was holding an apple. He then issued her with a £30 fixed penalty ticket. He said the defendant did not say anything at the time.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-335291/Pipped-Woman-driver-fined-eating-apple.html#ixzz27t6YO1M4

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Andrew Kitch, 35, of Hullock Road, Newton Aycliffe, County Durham, was caught steering his removal lorry with his elbows as he munched on the snack.

A Northumbria Police traffic officer spotted him on a mini-roundabout in North Tyneside, in December.

The same force was criticised for prosecuting a nursery nurse for eating an apple while she was driving.

On Thursday, North Tyneside Magistrates' Court heard Kitch held the packet in his left hand, while he fed himself with his right, and used his forearms and elbows to steer.

Kitch, who represented himself at court, denied the offence.

'Proper control'

Magistrates found him guilty and fined him £250 for failing to keep proper control of the lorry, plus £200 costs.

A Northumbria Crown Prosecution Service spokeswoman said: "Driving a vehicle whist not in proper control of it, for whatever reason, is potentially lethal.

"That is why the CPS takes these types of offences very seriously."

The same force prosecuted nursery nurse Sarah McCaffery in January for eating an apple while she made a left hand turn.

South Tyneside Magistrates fined the 23-year-old from Hebburn £60 and ordered her to pay £100 costs for not being in proper control of her Ford Ka.

Despite criticism after Ms McCaffery's prosecution, the force insisted motorists would continue to be put before the courts for eating or drinking behind the wheel.

Want to see more Scuta??

well ladies ,just to let you know, i know 6 police men and 1 inspector and 1 armed response very well,i dont make a habit of grassing anyone up but as there part of the law you would think they would give a good example ,and i iam with in my rights as a law abiding citizen and a FAC AND SGC holder to carry ammo in my van at anytime ,i was just asking what would you do ,now if you want please feel free to pick up all your toys :good:

I`m not saying that but where does it stop? For your information clever **** people have been done for eating whilst driving.

I am indeed a clever ****, it comes from knowing what I'm talking about and not confining my homework to the newspapers. Yes, people have been found guilty of not being in proper control of their vehicle, due to eating. This does not, in any way, mean that anyone eating whilst driving commits the offence per se.

Construction and use regs 1986, reg 104 - "No person shall drive or cause or permit any other person to drive, a motor vehicle on a road if he is in such a position that he cannot have proper control of the vehicle or have a full view of the road and traffic ahead"

that's a big 'if' and will always be down to interpretation. Realistically, it's not going anywhere unless it's either bleedin' obvious, as in the 'lorry driver's elbows' scenario or you can show whatever the driver was doing had a detrimental affect on their driving, for example, swerving. :smartass:

I am indeed a clever ****, it comes from knowing what I'm talking about and not confining my homework to the newspapers. Yes, people have been found guilty of not being in proper control of their vehicle, due to eating. This does not, in any way, mean that anyone eating whilst driving commits the offence per se.

Construction and use regs 1986, reg 104 - "No person shall drive or cause or permit any other person to drive, a motor vehicle on a road if he is in such a position that he cannot have proper control of the vehicle or have a full view of the road and traffic ahead"

that's a big 'if' and will always be down to interpretation. Realistically, it's not going anywhere unless it's either bleedin' obvious, as in the 'lorry driver's elbows' scenario or you can show whatever the driver was doing had a detrimental affect on their driving, for example, swerving. :smartass:

And i laughed ..... don`t tell me .. you are a policeman?

You want to complain because you saw a cop driving and eating a chocolate bar?

I think perhaps you are overreacting somewhat.

Tell that to the taxi driver who got a fine and points for eating a hobnob whilst he was stopped in a jam that hadn't moved for several minutes! I'm generally on side of the police but if I can't eat whilst driving why should they? Same as stopping on double yellows, they're not the only people with busy jobs who are in a hurry to drop in and grab a bite to eat. They uphold the law, they're not exempt from it.

Tell that to the taxi driver who got a fine and points for eating a hobnob whilst he was stopped in a jam that hadn't moved for several minutes! I'm generally on side of the police but if I can't eat whilst driving why should they? Same as stopping on double yellows, they're not the only people with busy jobs who are in a hurry to drop in and grab a bite to eat. They uphold the law, they're not exempt from it.

:good: :good:

What's your point?

Exactly, get an ******* life mate. Who knows how long it had been since the guy had eaten. He might have been on the job for ages and needed a quick food fix. These guys don't need knob ends to be complaining about them because they were partaking in a much needed sugar resup on a busy shift. "I have the reg number" woopy ******* doo. OMG.

:good: :good:

I think my work is done here .. thankyou and goodnight.

I think my work is done here .. thankyou and goodnight.

Well the taxi driver was unfortunate to get caught, the policeman eating the mars bar didn't get caught, except by a member of the public who failed to report the incident.