Just joined a target shooting club

Mikaveli

I've had my SGC for just over 6 months, but I've decided I'd also like to do some target shooting (probably with a .22 LR and some kind of historic rifle).

Obviously, no FAC yet, so I'll be a probationary member for about 6 months before I can apply.

Is anyone else here a member of a target club - any general advice (no no's, faux pas to avoid etc.) for a new member? I've read their club rules a few times, so I think I'm up to speed there.

Edited by Mikaveli

Clubs are looking for safety way above shooting ability. One probationer at my club had his probation extended by another 6 months as he couldn't stop pointing guns at people. Then they kicked him after after his first year.

Oh yes, don't forget to humour the "target bores" with their interesting stories of how good a shot they are. :lol:

Hi Mikaveli,

I took the same steps as you and finished my probation about 6 months ago. Police recommendations are for a minimum 3 months probation, but clubs can extend that if they wish. Turn up fairly regularly, spend some time each time talking to other members- they may give you the chance to shoot with their guns if you are lucky. Be respectful, ask plenty of questions, but not while people are shooting - you may change your mind what guns you want on your FAC. Each time you visit, I assume you will have a log sheet recording the details of your visit, make sure you record any and all guns you have shot that day, these records are available to the police if they wish to check (although they usually don't), it is also worth starting a log of your own, recording date, time, guns shot etc, maybe keeping your old targets in a binder as a record of improvement

I found it well worthwhile taking the time to read as much of the laws and regulations around target shooting - the NRA site has quite a lot of the official documents available as .pdf downloads, as well as the famous 'Bisley Bible' and the current Gallery Rifle shooting Handbook, safety at all times is paramount. If you want to save time, PM me with your email address and I will send them across. All information is worthwhile reading, I went from, like you, just wanting a .22 and something classic, to a structured list of guns that enables me to shoot in a variety of competition styles. When the FEO turned up, I had copies of all the rules, regs, old targets, records of club attendance, flyers from competitions etc for him to review. Maybe a bit of overkill, but apparently I was the first applicant in several years to have all of the five guns I had requested approved first time without question - he even increased my ammo limit without my requesting him to!

Overall, just enjoy yourself!

Edited by Bloke

Well, I've already tried quite a few different pieces of kit - there's nothing I haven't enjoyed shooting so far.

Obviously, when I comes to what I get when I get my FAC, the cost of the rifle (and more importantly) the cost of the ammunition are going to be limiting factors - I don't want something that'll cost a fortune to run.

Safety wise, I've shot a lot before, so the standard rules of never point at someone, always treat as if loaded etc. etc. are second nature. When you can touch a rifle (details, clear to go forward etc.) is quite new to me, but simple to follow so no problems there.

The range is a 20 -25 minute drive away for me, so it'll probably only be a weekly visit for me, missing the odd weekend when I'm off doing clays.

I love going down the range and just relaxing, I find it's a place where the pressures of life just vanish and you can indulge in a world of shooting. I started off with the .22LR which you can't beat for cheapness but I now have a .223 rifle, 9mm rifle and a .44 black powder revolver on my cert ready for me to buy. The variety of guns you can have is endless, next I fancy something WW2 like a 7.62 K98 Mauser or maybe a GSG 1911......who knows

My club is very relaxed but also takes safety very seriously and they train all new members to be RCO so you understand the safety side a bit more. Just enjoy it, ask questions and then when the probabation is over, fill your boots. Members will nearly always offer you a shot with their guns, just be aware that some ammo costs over £2 a pop so it is always polite to offer to pay for it and then thats up to them.