range behaviour

jef

My wife is on holiday this week and as such the dogs stay at home with her and she enjoys nice long walks with them.

She phoned me today from the car park at the local reserve having just returned from a lovely long walk with our two cockers who, she added, behaved faultlessly.

The only problem was the older dog Chloe (5) wouldn't come to her to get into the car. She would stand off at ten yards and not move. If my wife walked up to her she'd run off.

This is the second time in a week this has happened, the first time in a bean field, mexican stand off at ten yards. That day I ended up leaving work to help her. On my arrival the dog ran up to me as if nothing was wrong.

Anyway, after trying today for 20 minutes she called me again for help. She tried different things whilst I was on the line but nothing was happening and she was becomming a tad irate. As a last attempt I got her to put the phone on loud speaker and lay it in the boot of the car. I called for the dog down the phone and whistled (which created a **** take at work) at which point my wife informed me that the dog ran up and jumped into the car!!

I'm very suspicious of the dog's behaviour recently, over the last month. My wife is now almost seven months pregnant and I can't help thinking it is effecting the older dog.

Am I mad??

All the best

JF

Just record yourself, recalling the dog, on your wife's phone so she can play it to get the dog into the car.

Women's hormones are all over the place at 7 months pregnant as I'm sure you're well aware. Dogs sense this imbalance more than us and is probably **** scared of your wife. :lol:

after training my dog for 6 months ,we went on holiday and had to put are dog in the pound for a week ,on the second day the owner rang me and said your dog is not eating and that she was worried and wanted to ring me before she rang the vet ,my dog would just sit in-front of the dog food and not move ,it then came to me that part of her training was that i would put down her food or a treat and she would not touch it until i give the command ,click my fingers and point at the food and say OK lol ,

sounds like one man and is best friend :shifty:

after training my dog for 6 months ,we went on holiday and had to put are dog in the pound for a week ,on the second day the owner rang me and said your dog is not eating and that she was worried and wanted to ring me before she rang the vet ,my dog would just sit in-front of the dog food and not move ,it then came to me that part of her training was that i would put down her food or a treat and she would not touch it until i give the command ,click my fingers and point at the food and say OK lol ,

sounds like one man and is best friend :shifty:

I have done the same thing - when I first left my terrier with my parents when I went on holiday I completely forgot to tell them that he will only eat his dinner when asked to do so, so he wouldn't eat for a couple of days until I remembered to tell them about that bit of his training.

other dogs in car then shut the boot and drive slowly away a good distance with total confidence. Clever little dog runs behind, boot again opens dog dives straight in without a command given - seen it many times with the hounds. To be fair the dog just wants to extend the fun leading the dog up prior to approaching the car is the way ahead with this one as a dog should not be given a command that you cannot enforce. As always we need to "out think" the smarter ones