A Nice Sensible Telegraph Article

guest1957

A brilliant comment:

Lead, and thus lead shot, acquires a protective oxidised layer and is only weakly affected by hydrochloric acid in the presence of oxygen which means once swallowed, it is unlikely that any measurable amounts of any lead compound will be absorbed into the blood stream via the gut.

Peristaltic action move things swallowed through the gastrointestinal system towards the lavatory bowl, usually within 24 hours.

The things in the most danger from lead shot in game are the teeth at the top end, and the porcelain at the bottom end.

"The agency is concerned that lead shot in the flesh of birds

can harm developing brains."

I wonder what harmed the developing brains of those in the FSA?

What a breath of fresh air...tell it as it is.I don't even mind negative comments,so long as they're truthful.I often argued the point with LACS members that it wasn't the fact they were against me shooting which annoyed me so much as the fact that they had to lie,misinform and in some cases totally fabricate incidents to strengthen their arguments.It was a point totally wasted on them.

Have the tits at the FSA actually told us how many ounces of shot we have to swallow before we **** up our health?

I bet I'm not the only shooter on here who used to shoot rats on cold nights with airgun pellets in his mouth to avoid having to root through pockets with frozen fingers!

Nannying ********!

The real problem I have is the shot in the bottom of the bowl seems to get left behind when everything else flushes!

Like many things, lead in shot gets caught up with lead in general which is a very toxic metal. But like all things, it depends how you present it to the body. Lead in fumes is different to decomposing paint forming lead dust and is different to lead in shot. The trouble is most folk thing all lead is the same. Even with lead shot, there would be a real difference between eating it, getting shot in a muscle, or getting shot in a joint. The effects would range from cleaning the bowl to long term lead poisoning.

I'm sure there are plenty of folk on here who remember all the news about lead paint in homes and lead poisoning in children back in the 70's, or the effects of lead split-shot on water birds. All you can do is to try and educate folk that lead shot is extremely unlikely to cause you or your kids any harm. I probably wouldn't let anyone who is pregnant eat shot game simply because I don't know the data its not worth the risk for such a short time.

One thing you can do to help educate folk is to help them understand risk. For example, plutonium is of no risk at all ..... as follows.

Risk = hazard X exposure.

Plutonium is really hazardous but my exposure to it is zero. Consequently, it's of no risk to me.

Lead shot in the gut, as Reece says, is very low hazard and it goes through really quickly - again, the risk is low hazard X low exposure which means virtually no risk.

However, if the Telegraph reader is restoring their period home using a heat gun to remove paint, they have lead fumes = high hazard, X hours of work = high exposure, meaning they are at high risk from the effects of lead.

Oh well - it's worth a try.

Have the tits at the FSA actually told us how many ounces of shot we have to swallow before we **** up our health?

According to a letter in this weeks ST magazine,edited by me as it's a long letter,but nothing has been taken out of context:'by its own figures the WWT has found an average of fewer than six waterfowl per year over the past 40 years dead from lead poisoning.'

'According to the European Food safety Agency's scientific report 'Lead in Food',cereal grain is one of the biggest contributors to lead in humans.'

'The EFSA report also shows cereals as 6.8 per cent of human lead intake,potatoes as 6.9 per cent,beer as 6.2 per cent,vegetables as 4.2 per cent and tap water as 4 per cent.And lead in game meat?Almost at the bottom of the long list with 0.1 per cent!'

There has,as far as I know,been no report of the WWT disputing these figures.

I bet I'm not the only shooter on here who used to shoot rats on cold nights with airgun pellets in his mouth to avoid having to root through pockets with frozen fingers!

Nannying ********!

Ah, after years of doing this I now have absolutely no side effects. Who would have thought.

The photo of that shop is fantastic, its how butchers should all look this time of the year. But allas no, the do gooders and vegies have put a stop to it through complaints to local councils and precinct managers, saying it looks unsightly, cruel and is off putting. As for the story, well i had better get rid of all the **** real food in the freezer or its gona kill me.

Yeah !!! right :no: