Setting out deeks

bevsy

ill take a rough guess seeing as iv never ever bin in my life

1st.............. wade out in chest waders or boat chuck them out with the weighty things on

2nd probably face them in too wind as most birds land into wind

3rd 10 too 15 yrds between decoys ish so they have room to land

4 th hide in a wet smelly ditch till the come into range jump up boom boom send dog out

5th goose or duck in bag hows that?

Edited by swiss.tony

forget facing the wind but you must give approachind duck (normally comming into the wind somewere to land) although you only shoot them in the air you want to channel them into a kill zone. I like a v with a clump in the centre or a J hook. Your often limited via venue and present of current though and have to make do the best you can (sometimes its no more than a simple line along the fret edge in a strong flow). Its primarily important to place deeks were the duck want to be get that wrong by more than 40yds or so and the best you might get is a quick stoop as they pass on thier way to another flash, gutter or flood sort of like they are inviting your deeks to follow rather than asking permision to land.

What decoys and how you set them out will depend on where and what time of day you intend to use them.

If its on a river or tidal creek you may need to use a mother line to clip the decoys onto. If it’s a shallow flash in a flooded field individually weighted decoys are best , if its flight pond then half a dozen individual decoys chucked in the middle will do , but you will need some method of retrieving them if the water \ mud is deep.

Duck will come to any decoy in the half light of dawn or dusk , but if you are day tide flighting them the species you use can be important. For flighting in poor light use a big that stand out such as a mallard. If wigeon are the main species you expect to see on a tide flight then use mainly wigeon decoys. As Kent has said if you have a big stand of decoys out leave a hole in the pattern as a clear space for the ducks to land in. Treat duck decoying just like pigeon decoying , do not put the decoys in lines , keep the decoys within sensible range , place them where they will be very visiable. Do not try and decoy ducks under a flight line though. Watch the ducks and see where they want to go and use the decoys as fine tuneing to bring the birds in close. Use a 50\50 mix of sexes , but sometimes it will pay to use extra female decoys as they stand out against water better. If you look back through this post you will find a number of tips on this subject.

Lastly every marsh and its duck are different so watch the birds and adapt your decoying to the situation.

Kent i learnt a lesson a few years ago , I had shot a winged wigeon over a mix of wigeon and pintail decoys ( both sexes ) and my dog lost track of the duck 150 yards away so I walked over to redirect her. Looking back at the decoys the dark females stood out against the pale water , but I could hardly see the drakes. The main colour of drake wigeon\ pintails is grey almost the same shade of grey puntgunners paint their punts. Because punters have found that battleship grey is the best camo over water. I sometimes stand in the breakers on a beach that the pinks travel along at evening flight. Wear a normal reed\leaf cammo coat and they see you , but wear a pale grey coat and they often fly right over you. Water reflects the colour of the sky so pale grey does not show like dark brown against it.

Female ducks are brown so they have good camo while nesting not for open water. All I can say is next time you are decoying is walk a fair distance away and look at your decoys and see which ones stand out grey drakes or brown ducks.

Edited by anser2

interesting, suppose it depends on light conditions / glare and a load of other stuff like if they are on totally bare water or flooded marsh. I realse some things are not as they appear at times and will take a few longer walks round my spread from time to time and draw a conclusion on your thoughts