An exciting unexpected evening out.

30-6

As i have said before i am not an out and out fox shooter, and only shoot them "by request rather than on sight", when they prove a problem.

Recently went to a local farm to try to get a problem fox that i had been told about,that was killing chickens on two nearby smallholdings. Took a tenterfield type whistle with me and a 12 g with some heavy cartridges, and an hour before dark sat in a likely spot (a rough bit of ground that comes up to about a 500 yds belt trees about 30 yds wide with a small wood at one end), sat about 50 yds from wood, this is only a 10 minute walk from the farm buildings. Anyway, by the time it had got dark, the only things i had seen was 4 squirrels that seemed attracted to the call shaking their tails, so never fired the gun.

That was a Tuesday, on Thursday my brother was talking to the farmer who said he had seen a fox around the buildings, so went back up there on Saturday with a 20g with a couple of game cartridges to try for the squirrels and a couple of VIRI mini magnum No 4's which would be adequate for a fox around the buildings at short range. Took a lamp, the tenterfield and the u caller as well.

Walked along the belt of trees and missed a flying jackdaw but had two squirrels by the time i had got to the small wood without any calling. Set up in the small wood and started calling with the tenterfield, didn't see a squirrel, but had a sparrow hawk come for a nose (did not shoot), and two crows and two jackdaws which landed and paid the price. As it started to get dark walked back along the belt of trees got to the other end changed cartridges for the magnums to see if a fox would show, blew on the caller and straight away a magpie landed above me, tried to change cartridges but was spotted and away it went.

Made my way back to the farm it was now dark, settled down next to some wrapped silage next to the the buildings and overlooking a field with clear grass and rushes, there is one single tree 28 yds away from where i was, if i could get a fox near the tree he was in range. Started calling with the tenterfield, after a couple of minutes put the lamp around the buildings and field with a red filtered dimmer, nothing. Same thing again and a pair of eyes was coming to me. Lamp off little try again, lamp on and there was two sets of eyes. Lamp off, call again, lamp on and one was trying to come around to my right one still in front, lamp off for longer period with gentle calling from the u caller, lamp back on and there were FOUR sets of eyes looking back at me in different ranges. All just waiting with one a bit bolder wanting to come in but never but did, then one chased another down over a bank and left two. By this time my hands were freezing so called it a night. Will try for them again soon, but in a different location, down in the field rather than by the buildings so i will be closer.

So is it common to have four foxes come into a call to about 100 / 150 yds ? A rifle would have had at least one of them. Was it probable that when i had walked back calling along the way, i had brought them with me ?

I've had two a few times and usually in the autumn. I'm no foxing expert but I suspect they are siblings that are independent but not yet territorial and they're sticking together. I've learned the hard way that youngsters often travel in company, so when you shoot one don't be too quick to retrieve as there's often another close by who will come to investigate if you sit tight. I've never had four though. Whatever the answer I'll bet they are this years cubs. Be careful with the calling. If you get mobbed you'll probably only shoot the one and the others will become call shy and very hard to shoot. It might be better to bait.

Edited by Gimlet

I've had two a few times and usually in the autumn. I'm no foxing expert but I suspect they are siblings that are independent but not yet territorial and they're sticking together. I've learned the hard way that youngsters often travel in company, so when you shoot one don't be too quick to retrieve as there's often another close by who will come to investigate if you sit tight. I've never had four though. Whatever the answer I'll bet they are this years cubs. Be careful with the calling. If you get mobbed you'll probably only shoot the one and the others will become call shy and very hard to shoot. It might be better to bait.

Spot on assessment and advice :good: