Fox cage.

Thought this might be the best place to ask, although not for a shoot . We've been getting an increasing fox problem have removed a few but would like to put a cage down seeing as they are of varying costs any advice ! A friend uses one but so far has only caught feral cats !!

Thanks John.

I've got 2 cage traps and I've never caught a fox in either of them!!

Recently, about 4wks ago now, I bought a wcs collarum £100 delivered so about the same as some cage traps

I placed it by my chicken pen, an area where the cage trap is also located, a fox has been taking bait on a regular basis from around the cage trap inside the trap but not far enough to set it off!!

Anyway baited the collarum, and the following morning there was mr fox!!!

If I was you I would also consider one of these as opposed to a cage trap :good:

Agree with the above, out in the country use wires matey

Edited to add, just check before you set as I think they are changing the law on wires and you need some kind of daft certificate soon? ( otherwise known as give us £50 and we will give you a meaningless bit of paper saying you can set wires even though we have never set one ourself!!)

Edited by BADFEET

Thought this might be the best place to ask, although not for a shoot . We've been getting an increasing fox problem have removed a few but would like to put a cage down seeing as they are of varying costs any advice ! A friend uses one but so far has only caught feral cats !!

Thanks John.

Is your mate covering the base with soil/bark chips or something similar, I`m told foxes wont walk on the wire mesh ??????

Try covering the cage with near by foilage. Yes country foxes wont like walking on the bare mesh floor, but I've personally found that some of them dont like the mesh sides either.

In my opinion snaring is much more effective, although not always suitable in every situation.

I would imaging that maybe charlie has a taste for the living chicken now and is maybe ignoring your bait for the 'livelier' option!

A mate of me is allwoed to use those traps. He always explains that the key factor is the big size:

He only uses a trap like this:

Length 300
Width 40 cm better 50 cm
Hight 40 cm better 50 cm

Some pigeon or chicken disposal in the trap and around and an egg should do

Even better is this trap on a plank over a small ditch

A mate of me is allwoed to use those traps. He always explains that the key factor is the big size:

He only uses a trap like this:

Length 300
Width 40 cm better 50 cm
Hight 40 cm better 50 cm

Some pigeon or chicken disposal in the trap and around and an egg should do

Even better is this trap on a plank over a small ditch

Edited by malantone

Sorry, I wrote something about correct use of English, I then realised English is not your first language, and you speak English a lot better than I would speak your language whichever it is. once again sorry.

Thank you very much. That is very kind of you. I would be happy to be corrected.