Who has an 8 bore?

wildfowler.250

I have 4 of them

1 ralph grant

1 elderkin greylag

1 George Newnham 39" double 4" chambers

1 black powder M/L

also have a single Berry 4g and numerous 10gs

all are used during the season though picked up a armatilia o/u 10g 43" barrels which patterns really well so will be giving this a good show on the marsh early on to see how I get on with it and may end up my main duck/goose gun, though for those "just geese" flights it will be a 8g or the 4g

cant beat the sound of the big guns booming over the marsh during the morning flight ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ohhhhhh happy days

forgot to add I am always on the look out for good 8 bores !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by fandango

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice.

Who is the maker?

Its an Edward Whistler I bought it at Bonhams in London about 2001 for £2400 incl commission & every one said I was bonkers but the strange thing is they are saying now " You know that 8bore you have ? do you want to sell it ? trouble is they want to give me what I paid for it :lol: . Now I know I am mad but I am not that mad :whistling: .

ATB Pole Star

I have fired a double Tolley under lever in anger, which was very nice. Didn't hit the goose though.

Its an Edward Whistler I bought it at Bonhams in London about 2001 for £2400 incl commission & every one said I was bonkers but the strange thing is they are saying now " You know that 8bore you have ? do you want to sell it ? trouble is they want to give me what I paid for it :lol: . Now I know I am mad but I am not that mad :whistling: .

ATB Pole Star

ATB Pole Star

Not suprising, you can expect to pay that sort of money for a decent single nowadays looks a very nice gun :good: .

To All,

You folks on "the other side of the pond" might look at a 10 gauge Magnum PUMP or SA & have it "imported privately" to the UK.

(The ITHACA SUPER MAGNUM is a BEAST & could easily be re-bored to an 8 gauge, I suspect.)

Also, my old MATADOR DB 10GA MAG from Spain is built on a 8bore frame/barrels & could be re-bored, too. = I paid the equivalent of 800 pounds for mine a few years ago; it weighs 15.5 pounds.

yours, satx

San Antonio, RoT

Edited by satx78247

There was an article in either the Field or Countryman Weekly recently showing a company that is building and umber of 8 and 4 bore sidelocks. The owner is building a 4b for himself.

If I am correct Westly Richards built a new 8bore for a wealthy customer not to long ago , I am sure I saw a picture of it along with some other specials they had built in a shooting publication . ???

There was an article in either the Field or Countryman Weekly recently showing a company that is building and umber of 8 and 4 bore sidelocks. The owner is building a 4b for himself.

Not to sure Penelope I think the article I read was about when Westly Richards built a whole range of guns for one customer which went from 410 to 8 bore

( lucky so & so ) . :)

ps I just don't like big guns with out hammers , its true what some one said about hammer less guns in the old days "" They look like spaniels without EARS ! "" :lol:

My grandad used to have a sbs 8 and his was old and battered but it still killed geese and duck up to 80 yards away according to his game diary this showed it still worked if you are going to use one for serious wildfowling I wouldnt spend over a grand but if it is a show gun I would buy a good one

Atb strangford wildfowler

Here is a link to the 4 bores Watson brothers are making http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMtVW2gSJ40

I would love a big bore someday but with a young family and extensions to build money is scarce. I get the chance to use a friends big guns and love every minute of it. Taking down a right and a left of geese 70-80 yards up with a 25lb double 4 is a great feeling. Really looking forward to getting out with him again this coming season.

Here is a link to the 4 bores Watson brothers are making http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMtVW2gSJ40

I would love a big bore someday but with a young family and extensions to build money is scarce. I get the chance to use a friends big guns and love every minute of it. Taking down a right and a left of geese 70-80 yards up with a 25lb double 4 is a great feeling. Really looking forward to getting out with him again this coming season.

See if you can get down this season aister & you are welcome to have a pop with my 8 bore . :good:

I think I have the black stuff sussed! have not loaded any yet,thinking along the lines of 4 1/2 drams of FFG and 2 1/4 oz lead or ITM, I have to work out the wad column height for 3 1/4 win cases,then we will give them a try :shoot:

All the best

Wayne

Have a look at the letters page of the Shooting Times 21st Aug Wayne , a bit more info on loading blacks :good: .

In all seriousness, how much is a double 8 in good nick cost? Is it a min of 2K job?

What are you guys shooting through it? ITM?

Hi lads,put a few pic's of my Tolley,haven't shot any thing with it yet! but September is getting very close :)

Let me know what you think Carl! oh bye the way,let the man know with the big gun :good:

That double looks very nice.

Wayne

Very nice gun btw :good:

In all seriousness, how much is a double 8 in good nick cost? Is it a min of 2K job?

What are you guys shooting through it? ITM?

Very nice gun btw :good:

2k huh ! you will be lucky if you can get a good one at that price today for a good double ! I put lead through mine & old TM over water & wet land :good: .

I think you are looking 6 to 7 k up for a good one check the auction rooms .