Who loads 40g vmax in .223???

sod speed pick a powder and load for accuracy ,.

The more of a serious reloader you become, the more you will understand zx10mikes' statement.

Bit like golf - whats the point of hitting the ball miles if you always have to play your second shot out of the rough.

I chronograph not for speed but for consistency. When will people understand that the stupid words 'flat shooting' dont exist - well not as long as we have gravity.

The more of a serious reloader you become, the more you will understand zx10mikes' statement.

Bit like golf - whats the point of hitting the ball miles if you always have to play your second shot out of the rough.

I chronograph not for speed but for consistency. When will people understand that the stupid words 'flat shooting' dont exist - well not as long as we have gravity.

only thanks to guys like yourself. i remember you chipping in helping me when i started out.thanks again

A full load of H4198 over a rem 7 1/2 in my gun. It is pushing 3650 from a 24" barrel.

Thanks

Rick

Thanks pal,

I just wanted to know what the difference was between my hornet and the 223 load as I use the same bullet when I am not using the mag. Thanks all the same.

Karl.

A favored load in the west here for prarie dogs--high volume -long range shooting. This powder was designed for .223 use

27.5-28.0 AA 2230 40vmax almost filling case and lowering SD

28.0 clocks 3880 in warm weather from 26" tube this load shoots well in most guns and under .3 in mine, it is a bit temp sensitive due to it being a ball powder Twist rate 1/14

Edited by coyotemaster

Hello,

A load you might try is 26.0 grains of Vit N133 with a 40 grain bullet. I have a Remington 700 1 in 9 twist and this gives me 3,600 fps and I zero at 150yds. Its a quick round and very reliable in the Remington

Hi

My load with 40gr V Max. VihtV N133. 26.5 gns Lapua cases "MAX load" are Awesome on Foxes and bug holes @ 100yard's gives me 3750fps. start lower and work up.

My Rem is 1 in 12 twist, 24" barrel.

ATB

Wullie.

what CM said. Since I'm shooting an Encore, there is no 'action' to contain or diffuse the gasses from a pierced primer. So a pierced primer from a hot load would have serious consequences for me. Also, a softer cup can deform slightly more which in a bolt gun isn't much of a problem. But for an encore/contender if your spring is weak or if you have extra headspace on a round it can be enough to cause a misfire.

That and I got a screaming deal on 3k Rem 7 1/2 when the market was highly inflated.

thanks

rick

Just been speaking to your mate on this matter Rus. what are you trying to achieve? muzzle speed is nothing of an advantage in what is a lower BC bullet. Basically it will be faster at your end than a 55 grn but take more wind and at some ranges the 55 will actually beat a 40 to the target end due to having a better ability to retain velocity.

Nothing can beat gravity and very,very few foxes are missed due to giving the wrong drop allowance most errors like this are on windage estimates.

The 40 could be expected to have more fragible results, certainly at shorter ranges - this can be a double edged sord though in itself though.

My opinion are CCi benchrest or Fedral gold medal primers, Remmington are no real comparisom and yes primer choice makes a big difference in a load. Consistancy is key

I'm after a cheap'ish accurate load Kent

Box of Norma 40g v-max is £20, looking at prices I should be able to reload 20 for £8

.224 bullet heads are as cheap as they come they certainly dont need to be 40grns to cut costs. I pay about £14-£16 per hundred .224 heads and if you get the allowance to buy a full consignment of 1000 at a time cheaper still. Stick to 50-55grn. Group buying (and shopping elsewere) can reduce costs. Using a lighter bullet will actually take more powder than a 55 grn (ok only a couple of grains but non the less it adds up) some scoff at economising but i very much believe its the way forwards if you shoot a lot

i strongly recomend a trip outside of North wales to Kranks, Hannams etc. for componants get some reloading data books as they give much sage advice besides listing the loads. If i remember i will give Andy some photocopied data when i next see him- but guides pay you back for years internet data is sometimes wrong and needs an experianced hand to sort through IMO

I don't see any advantage shooting the 55gr over the 40's, yes they are slightly better in the wind but only minimal, the 40's are flatter shooting than the heavier bullet heads.

A lot of people shoot the lighter bullets and are happy with them so why not give them a go?

Agreed the Internet does not always have correct info as different people have different ideas on things and are not always correct, I have a experienced reloader who is going to show me the ropes and work up some loads with whatever I decide on

Under 250 yards there is nothing in it between 40's and 50's. The 40's drop an inch or so less but the 50's will take an inch less wind. That inch won't make the difference on a fox. Also, you can economize with powder choice as a full load of the most compact and most bulky powders will be about 5 grains, which is around an extra 30 rounds on a pound of powder. But then you have to consider the price difference between those two powders too. Again, there won't be much in it. As said above, find the load that your rifle likes and go with it. A couple misses from a substandard load will drive the cost per hit right up.

Thanks

Rick

I don't see any advantage shooting the 55gr over the 40's, yes they are slightly better in the wind but only minimal, the 40's are flatter shooting than the heavier bullet heads.

A lot of people shoot the lighter bullets and are happy with them so why not give them a go?

Agreed the Internet does not always have correct info as different people have different ideas on things and are not always correct, I have a experienced reloader who is going to show me the ropes and work up some loads with whatever I decide on

I cannot force you take the advice of experiance, only offer it but std trajectory drop is constant - wind is not. there is no reason to not give them a go but then again no good reason to do so either. the military have constantly been upping the weight of thier 5.56 nato bullets - why do you think that is? the new personal weapon in the current conflict has been increased in calibre for contacts that are now averaging over 300yds- why is that? just dont try and re-create a .20 ruger in a .223 package as a 40grn .20 is a very different animal as regards BC and performance.