bipods !!!

oldandnew

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what did you pay for your harris swivel bipod.?

where is the cheapest place to buy them from?

thanks kipper :look:

I'll be honest and say I can't remember the length of the legs (Adjustable though), but they are the tilt and pan legs, that fold flat when not in use. I think I paid £98.00 including the free fitting of the QD stud by The Airgun Centre, Rayleigh, Essex.

Sounds alot, but when you look at the engineering quality, you can understand why!

hi, although I got my rifle from rayliegh I popped into a little gun shop on my way back from a days shooting, called abridge amoury, and it was an impulse buy, think I paid around £69 for the 9"-13" tilt/pan model, the swivel stud I had already picked up from e bay for a fiver

get one, you wont regret it :good:

looking at buying a harris swivel bypod 9"-13".

are they easily detached (quick release) from the gun when not needed. ( when shooting from car window).

are they inter changeable ( could I buy 1 pod and use it on 2 guns)

qd swivel ? what is this

sorry about all the ?.

thanks in advance. Kipper :lol:

hi kipper,

yup 1 bi pod could be used on more than one rifle, the qd swivel normally attaches under the rifle either by a dovetail fitting or in place of a sling fitment, its basically a little stud with a hole in it, the underside of the bipod has a thumbscrew which when held in place and turned inserts 2 little hooks through the hole in the stud and tightens onto it, therefore as long as each rifle has its own stud, the bi pod is interchangable

hope that helps

I would suggest you opt for the swivel bi pod rather than the fixed, a little extra cost, but so much more versatile...

I do not use a bipod though I have been thinking about them since a freind bought one. I don,t fancy a perminantly fixed unit and I am toying with the idea of using a camera tripod. These can be bought at any charity shop or carboot sale for very little money have pan & tilt and are fully adjustable. You will just have to make a u shaped bracket lined with foam or leather and I would think you would have a perfect tool for the job

Peter

stoggie; as above say's, bi pods can easily be removed from the rifle, and as the saying goes "you only get what you pay for" picture these two scenario's and see which sounds better

scenario 1; laying prone you see a rabbit 30yds out, you flick the feet of the bi pod down, aim, take the shot then go collect your rabbit...

scenario 2; sitting up you see a rabbit 30yds out, you reach for your camera bi pod, you need to put the rifle down cos of opening it, is a two handed affair, you place the rifle in the foam linned bracket, taking aim while you rotate the side handle to give either height or twisting the handle to give you the tilt function, you wished you could lay prone as this rabbit is gonna see all this movement in a minute, but you cant as the camera tri-pod isi'nt low enough(is was made for taking pictures after all) you focus on the rabbit, hold on!! wheres the rabbit gone?

LOL lol lol

stubby how true

but i did think of the camera thing , but then remembered what my grandad always tought me

" if ya gonna do a job do it properley "

you wouldnt use a butter knife to paunch ya rabbit now would ya ??

and in reply to where did i get my pod from " fleabay " £60 inc P+P

swivels and sling from melbourne gun

rgds

oldandnew

Point taken but I was not refering to the large pro type of tripod. You can get one from 9" fully colapsed.

These are usualy light telescopic things which would be a little light. the alloy ones would be the best yuo can get them starting at 14" upwards they would be right for both kneeling and prone.The bracket I refered to could have a top to it that was qd and could be moved with the rifle.

I dont think this would be a bodge job being able to make something yourself is one of lifes great pleasures and the simple things are the best. When my lady wife worked in a local care home she told me about an

elderly gent who liked a pipe of baccy after a meal but he could not use his hands much to light it I am a pipe smoker but none of the nurses in the home was. I made a device out of a washing up bottle and a piece of plastic pipe that enabled the old gent to have his smoke it was in use for 2 years untill he died at the age of 90. Now that was a bodge job but it worked.

Peter

stoggieman I admire your willingness to have a go at making a pod yourself, the camera pod thing has entered my head to, :P

I have made fishing and shooting equiptment before that has worked well and Im quite proud of it :good: . we live in a throw away country. redesign-reuse-recycle you cant beat it :P

however a harris bypod has lots of good press and I have no doubt it is a valuable piece of kit to any serious hunter :good: (though it is over priced i.m.o :/ ) as was said earlier the slightest movement and the quarry has gone. :P:/ . I dont get out hunting half as much as I would like to so any advantages are a BIG bonus. I dont wany to take any chance of missing quarry.

the harris bypod did not fall out of the sky somebody had an idea and played about with it experimenting the outcome was the harris bypod was the.

good luck kipper :lol:

(though it is over priced i.m.o :/ )

All the best gear to do with this Sport /hobbie/pastime etc etc is overpriced BUT!!! the point is it does what it says on the tin so to speak and that is provide a versatile stable firing platform that can be folded away when not in use or easily removed when no longer required :/

Only ever had and used Harris so i'm afraid I can't comment on the cheaper alternatives

Peter

I enjoy making my own adaptations as well :good:

fair do's stoggieman, I have nothing against making/using cheaper alternatives if they can do the same job, if not better, I myself bought a shooting stick(extendable) from the bay of E, thinking this would be just as good as a bi-pod, and only costing me £15 plus postage,

how wrong I was, its home is the boot of the car, where it will stay, as by the time its adjusted(twist lock) the rabbit has gone for a afternoon nap :/

I tend to do lots of stalking in the early part of a days shooting, where the harris is invaluble as Its attached to the rifle, so no need to carry other baggage and is instantly there if needed,

afternoon, sitting in a hide, a camera tri-pod/shooting stick maybe a better tool

for sale

1 shooting stick

1 camera tri-pod

hello again chaps,

do you now if the QD swivel is the same thing as a QD stud,?

I picked up my deben tracer max pro yesterday and I'm well impressed with it. :lol: just need to make my mind up on which harris pod and buy one. :D

I have almost made my mind up for the Harris 9" - 13" swivel. I have found one for £65 + £5 postage. I have asked the seller a question about how much the QD stud is and he said they will supply 1 free with the pod.:)

thanks in advance kipper. :D

didnt think this post would go on as long !!!!!!

been out purchased my harris got my studs fitted a sling and taken 35 rabbits since starting this thing

come on chaps and chapess's

get your self an harris and be done we it

pure and simple

why would man u buy jason lee, when they could buy wayne rooney !!!!

makes sence doesnt it

rgds

oldandnew

no comments please !!!!! LOL

does not your rifle have a sling attached to it ...........If so then the Bi-pod will fit this stud unless it's a factory supplied hybrid stud .

If there is no stud fitted let us know and I'll type instructions on how to fit one :)

deadeye Ive, my s410 has not got astud for the sling, I do put a sling on it but it is a cheeta sling and it does not need a stud to fix it to my rifle. any help / advice you could give me on fitting the stud would be graitfully received.

thanks kipper :lol:

kipper Is it a TDR S410, this is what I have, in which case you need a qd stud number 5a if I remember correctly, as you have a dove tail fitment in front of the trigger gaurd if its a standard rifle or carbine, I got no idea if the rail is there

steve