Crow decoy patten same as pigeon decoy patten ?

greener86

I went and had ago at the crows today with the crow fud,s I set them out sort of in a wide circle with the odd ones in the middle only had 6 decoys set up my hide got in and started calling yes the primo brought in the crows and jackdaws in something was spooking them they would go as fast as they come start calling agian and they would come back but go again plus the odd pigeon would try and fly in on the the fud, s and there were pigeons around 40 odd on the sugar beat field I was shooting when i came, the wind was in my face not sure if that spooked. them or the decoy patten ,the gun or me moving abit in the hide

Is Crow decoy patten same as pigeon decoy patten ? Any tips please

dont bother with a patern and dont worry about wot way they face they dont seem to care about wind ruffling there feathers i put about 6 clumped together then scatter a few more about as look outs

the thing to worry about is the hide and dont move till you mount the gun swap the decs with dead as day goes on i use a flapper as they seem to like it but a rotary doesnt seem to work for me on crows but some people seem to have good sessions ,also a call can bring them in from knowhere

Another thing worth trying is to put a `sentry' decoy on a stick about 3-4 ft. above the ground near the decoys. It appears to draw the attention of passing crows and they tend to approach the sentry out of curiosity. Place it where the incoming crows come within range. I had alot of success using this approach during the summer.

Chris

If there are any fence posts where you are shooting, get a couple of decoys sitting on them, and looking at the decoys in the field. Try not to get the decoys looking in the direction of your hide, and space them out a few feet apart. As mentioned, keep as still as possible until you shoot. A flapper works well, especially with Jackdaw's, and a Primos Power Crow caller is an excellent bit of kit, once you learn how to use it properly.

Cheer for the info been again this afternoon set the hide added extra dead grass on the hide put 6 fud,s close together and 6 home made cut outs with socks on L shape had them coming in a lot closer 5 yards above the decoys then they realised tried the primo crow call it did not do the same effect today my lad said needs to be deeper sounds like a dying crown dad I did ask him abit more practice I think with the caller on the whole had a rook and jackdaw missed a few may try earlier in the day as there is a few pigeon on the field when we turned up then made a disappearing act soon after

• 2 weeks later...

I use the primos to great effect we have shot hundreds this year on the decoys! As said above no pattern neaded, sounds to me like they knew you were there! If they come in large groups its usualy going wrong as they wont commit to the decoys, crows arnt daft as you well know, dont shoot at large groups as you will just confirm to them that there suspicion was right, my guess os there returned a few times then.never came back?

its taken me the best part of 3year to get it right to a level that were getting decent bags regular! Its all about being able to read the situation and adjust! Call to much and they will spook as its not natural. If your hide stands out or yourselves in the hide!

The primos is the best caller going if you learn to use it accordingly, it also sounds like the crows you saw wer rooks as crows are usualy quite a solitary bird and dont usualy fly in large groups much! were u shooting near the rookery? When we decoy we stay away from there rookerys and this works much better as not as many see you set up or fire!

As for decoys i find more is better most of the time, i dont use flappers or wirlies as i find these can spook aswell, i use 20 odd full bodied flocked deeks or more! Make it look as natural as poss with look outs in the trees ect you will know pretty soon if your not in the right place, do a bit of home work and find out where there feeding!

good luck next time mate!

Directed at origanal post

atb c.s

Edited by cumbrian shooter