Hen Birds

Is anyone else putting a ban on shooting hen bird's this year on there shoot's? We thought it best not to right from the off to give them half a chance of building numbers back up next near after having such a hard time of it this year. Your opinions would be appreciated.

We are all wild bird's. We generally have a rule only one hen per drive for most of the season until jan when its cock's only but as I say this year to try and preserve numbers we thought it best not to shoot any.

I think wild bird shoots will struggle this season, as there were vitually no wild broods last summer. Leaving the hens that you have to breed next summer will obviously help, as will continuing feeding through to the spring/summer and making an extra effort to get on top of your local vermin.

Would be interested to know what sort of numbers 'wild bird' shoots are typically getting per acre say? And what is the maximum non-native (pheasant and red leg) 'wild' bag shot per season.

Obviously this is massively affected by neighbouring shoot activities i.e. differentiating between truly wild and previously released birds.

Would help the rest of us 'put and take' shoots assess the value of leaving hens, cocks or otherwise.

I suspect the info has too many factors involved to be scientifically valuable.